We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toilets in A'dam..

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oslo, Norway
Toilets in A'dam..

I just came back from three great (but expensive) days in Amsterdam. What I really hate about this city is that wherever you go, you have to pay to use the toilets. I understand that you have to pay to use public toilets- but at the Madame Tussaud's which was so expensive? And at eg. a breakfast restaurant (Cafe Luxembourg), McDonalds etc.? 50c to use the toilets is pretty expensive when you've already paid to eat at the place.

There are elderly ladies who have a plate in which they collect the fee. Do they wash the toilets and provide the toiletpaper or something in that direction? Anyway- why can't McDonalds/Madame Tussaud's etc pay their salary? This really made me pissed- being used to use the toilets at the restaurants I eat in for free.

For a family of four- expect to pay about 5-10€ a day just to use toilets around Amsterdam..

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 75
1. Re: Toilets in A'dam..

it seems these ladies pay for the right to 'do' the toilets and make a fortune . it happens everywhere here . From the Rai exposition centre ,the department stores and wost nightclubs that cost 20+euro to get in charge high prices fordrinks and then you have to pay up to 1euro to use the loo !!!

Oslo, Norway
2. Re: Toilets in A'dam..

My mother who used to live in Athens before told me that this was done there at that time (twenty years ago!) too, but I didn't experience that last time I was there which was about 7 years ago.

Is this "phenomenon" widely accepted in Amsterdam or do people complain about it? I normally order a large drink at eg. McDonalds- but in Amsterdam I didn't so I didn't have to use the toilet. Weird- I had to pay 35c for ketchup with my fries.. Every other McDonalds I've been to (Korea, China, Singapore, Hong Kong, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and so on) you get the ketchup for free..

Do they have any 7-Elevens in Amsterdam? I could never seem to find any or similar stores except some people selling chocolate on the streets..

Other than that- great city!

Florida
reviews: 5
3. Re: Toilets in A'dam..

I have been to several countries in western europe and this doesnt just happen in Amsterdam. They charge you to use the toilets in Paris and Brussels. Its not like you dont have the change. With the euro, I always end up having about 15-20 euro at the end of each day. So what does it matter. There are places in the US that have a bathroom attendent and it is customary to tip the attendant.

California
reviews: 1
4. Re: Toilets in A'dam..

I doubt if running a toilet concession is very profitable as I'm sure you'd have to pay the restaurant for the job and by the looks of the attendants- often of retirement age and dressed very plainly I don't think they're getting rich. Who'd want to hang out at the toilet entrance and clean toilets all day. BTW this system seems to keep the bathrooms spotless compared to other fast food non attendant toilets I've been to.

For a 7-11 type experience go to the Albert Heijn mini markets- lots of snacks and ready to eat items.

DC
5. Re: Toilets in A'dam..

But, at least every loo you visit is clean, and you never find feces caked on the back of the toilet nor piddle spots on the seats.

Well worth the few cents to have a shiney clean place to squat!

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 14
6. Re: Toilets in A'dam..

Couldnt agree more, never seen any toilet where you are asked to pay a few cents , to be anything other than spotless. Well worth the money.

DC
7. Re: Toilets in A'dam..

Hiya Geofboxer~

You are only too true. I cannot tell you how many times back home here in The States that I've desparately needed to use the facilities in a department store or a MacDonalds and found them to be so filthy that I just left in pain hoping I could make it back home to take care of my bodily needs.

Cheers,

Dev