We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albany, New York
reviews: 4
Christmas in Amsterdam

We're planning to spend Christmas in Amsterdam. As we've visited during the summer, the city is familiar.

Christmas questions:

- Any festivals or events that are " must see"?

- Great decorations in a particular area?

- Less tourists during this time?

- Are the clubs usually open, along with other unique

Amsterdam attractions?

- Any special restaurant Christmas experiences?

- Is there usually snow?

- Great day trips?

Thanks!!

Houston, TX
1. Re: Christmas in Amsterdam

I was in Amsterdam for Xmas and New Years last year...it was excellent.

The weather was fantastic the 10 days we were there. Woke up to snow one morning and rain on another day but outside of that the weather was very tolerable. Comfortable for walking around with slight periods of some sun, clouds, wind, drizzle...typical Amsterdam weather.

Xmas is definitely less touristy with new years being a little more busy but what do you expect. I highly recommend a new years eve in amsterdam.

Everything is open except for Xmas day in which a majority of things/places were closed, with the afternoon becomming more busy, but we still managed to find plenty of places that were open. Coffeeshops and clubs and bars are all open and there are plenty of people walking about.

Didn't have any special Xmas restaurant experience to speak of and I didn't see any festivals going on while we were there. I would recommend the outdoor ice skating rink near the Rijks and Van Gogh. It is near here that I did come across some street decorations. I can't remember the street(s) but this street does contain some of your extreme high end shops(i.e. gucchi, armani, that kind of stuff)

Florida
reviews: 2
2. Re: Christmas in Amsterdam

Christmas in Amsterdam is awesome. All the shopping areas are decked out in Christmas festive. There are less tourist than summer but there still are plenty around. I have never hit snow myself but it is possible. Amsterdam attractions are open year round so don't be concerned about that. Sorry never done a Special Christmas dinner but fine dining is available just about everywhere.

London
3. Re: Christmas in Amsterdam

I spent the last New Year in Amsterdam and had a fabulous time. I found all the attractions to be available and all shops etc. open on New Years day. I don't know about Christmas as we arrived a couple of days afterwards, however I would highly recommend extending your visit to take in New Year celebrations in Dam Square - amazing atmosphere and no trouble (which was a refreshing change!) Bars open throughout the night and celebrations in the streets. The weather - a bit rainy, quite chilly, but nothing too extreme. Would definitely recommend a trip on a canal boat, about an hour long and takes you all around the city. Perfect way to relax the morning after the lively night before!

Am paying a visit in a week or so's time and cannot wait!

Have a great time!

great britain
4. Re: Christmas in Amsterdam

hey

im heading to the dam for new year with my boyfriend.......any idea on good clubs to go to?? or would u recommend staying at dam square - we are staying on dam square??

just as we have never been there b4 just wanted a idea

thanks

x