We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam in late March

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
reviews: 1
Amsterdam in late March

My wife and I will be traveling to Amsterdam for the first time in late March of next year. This will be our first trip to Europe, so I have a few questions regarding what we can expect...

Is there much to do in Amsterdam in March, compared to spring and fall?

Are businesses seasonal (E.g. Coffeeshops, flea markets, museums, etc.)?

Are there signifigant price diffs between winter and spring/summer/fall?

If staying in an apartment, will we [Americans] be able to easily find food for self-service cooking? Prices comperable?

I must admit my wife and I typically just like to walk and chill back at the pad. We'll most likely just sight-see (economy-style) and hang-out at some of the coffee shops. The ocassional out-to-eat excursions. Any thoughts on how much to budget? I have some idea with regards to airfare and hotel, but the "on-the-ground" expenses I could use a little bit of help with.

Thanks a bunch!

lovestojam

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 14
1. Re: Amsterdam in late March

Yes , loads to do , see attractions on the bar top left. Lots of things not mentioned , Im sure youll see them as you walk.

No , almost every thing is all year round.

No , no difference in day to day prices. Hotels may alter a little but not significantly.

Yes , loads of food stores. Prices similar to UK, may be a bit more than US as Dollar is not too strong at the moment.

Impossible to set a budget as I dont know your habits ! but I eat , drink and live well on Euro 70-80 a day. Can be done on less if you dont eat at nice restaurants and make a pig of yourself in the bars ! Have fun , and come back if I can help further.

California
reviews: 1
2. Re: Amsterdam in late March

I've been to Amsterdam four times between 15 march and 31 March as there's a big jump in airline fares from the US on the first of April as well as my favorite hotel going to high season prices then also. One thing I've noticed each time is the big difference in the weather mid March compared to end of March. Be prepared with multi layered clothing or as little as a long sleeved warm shirt.

I agree with Geoff about other prices generally and that pretty much everything is open year round. I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area, one of the most expensive parts of the USA, and it seems to me Amsterdam restaurant and grocery prices are even higher but not hugely so especially if you spend your money outside of the centrum.

Florida
reviews: 5
3. Re: Amsterdam in late March

I have been to A'dam twice both times at the end of March begining of April. There is lots to do during this time. Check out this website for more information on things to do in A'dam.

http://www.holland.com/amsterdam/gb/

I have to agree there are big price hikes in airfare at the begining of April, book well in advance. Our second trip we stayed in an apartment and we went to the local grocery store and made our own dinner and breakfast back at our pad. We found it more fun and less expensive, we only ate lunch out. Restaurants tend to be very crowded and sometimes impossible to get into (at least for dinner.)

During out last trip we spent anywhere from 90-150 daily. Depending on what we did each day (souvenirs, museums, smoke, food, drinks, and excursions out of the city.)