We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytrip outside of Amsterdam??

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California, USA
reviews: 1
Daytrip outside of Amsterdam??

Are there good places to take a day trip to outside of Amsterdam? I am going to be there for 5 days and I don't think I can handle staying inside just the city for that long.

Hoofddorp, The...
reviews: 2
1. Re: Daytrip outside of Amsterdam??

Hello

Take the train to Alkmaar if you can on a freiday (morning) too see the nice town and the cheese market. also nice is de Bloemen veiling in Aalsmeer but you have to be there from 07:30 until 09:00 early is best

Vic see also my other advises !!!!!!

www.ns.nl

www.vba.nl

europeforvisitors.com/europe/articles/alkmaa…

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 14
2. Re: Daytrip outside of Amsterdam??

All do it yourself excursions may work out cheaper than the organised ones , its a case of "pays your money" etc.

Lindberge, Holland International etc all do organised bus trips that can be booked from their offices on Damrak.

To give you a little idea whats on offer go to www.lindbergh.nl

Plenty to choose from!

Purmerend, The...
reviews: 120
3. Re: Daytrip outside of Amsterdam??

Go to Utrecht and enjoy the relaxed life overthere.

Utrecht is a smaller city than Amsterdam but has lots of things to offer.

It's only 25 minutes by train away from Amsterdam.

reviews: 15
4. Re: Daytrip outside of Amsterdam??

I've enjoyed day trips to: Haarlem, Den Haag, each of which gives another city experience. Zandfort, is good if weather is nice and you'd like to go to beach. Other day trips I've take -- to Hoge Veluwe and Kroller-Muller museum, to Bergen (a nice seaside location), and Friesland -- have required a car.

Friends of ours loved renting bikes (first with Yellow Bikes and then independently) for trips out of the city.

But Amsterdam has plenty to do and five days seems like a short time to me.

Florida
reviews: 5
5. Re: Daytrip outside of Amsterdam??

Try Brussels, Belgium it's a 2hr 45min train ride. Not a lot of great museums or anything but great food, lots of shopping and lots of goth architecture.

Amsterdam
6. Re: Daytrip outside of Amsterdam??

I would recommend the beaches in the west in fine weather: Zandvoort is crowded, Bloemendaal is hip/trendy, IJmuiden is big and quiet.

Or take the train to Arnhem in the east, where you can visit the Openluchtmuseum (Open Air Museum), where old houses and farms and windmills have been rebuilt to show you what every day life used to be like in the past!

Volendam, just north of Amsterdam, might be fun, though not longer for a couple of hours. It's a small fishing town, famous for traditional clothing, in which you can have yourself photographed.

Another idea for a whole weekend is to go to the isle of Texel (train to Den Helder, from there the boat). It's where many Dutch people go themselves in the weekends, it has fantastic vast quiet beaches. And personally I cannot get enough of touring on a rental bike at Texel. It's beautiful!

Rotterdam is famous for it's modern museums and modern architecture.

Well, I hope I gave you some nice suggestions! Have fun!

Amsterdam
reviews: 1
7. Re: Daytrip outside of Amsterdam??

Take the train to Alkmaar or Haarlem.

They are nice places.

The keukenhof might be nice (flowers) but is touristy and seasonal

Hoofddorp, The...
reviews: 2
8. Re: Daytrip outside of Amsterdam??

Hello

Just for info, the Keukenhof is closed it was open till 19 may !!!!!!!!!

Vic

reviews: 9
9. Re: Daytrip outside of Amsterdam??

not sure if youve had your amsterdam visit?if you want another nice place,schagen is not far on the train after alakmar...its my home and we get lots of visiters....well worth a trip...jc