We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biking from Amsterdam to Alkmaar (and Back)

Which Alkmaar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 36
Biking from Amsterdam to Alkmaar (and Back)

Hi

We are planning on biking from Amsterdam to Alkmaar in late May and was wondering is this achievable? We plugged the details into google maps and shows it will take about 2 and a half hours but there are a lot of turns and a ferry we need to take. Not being "professional" bike riders but do occassionally ride, does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 3
1. Re: Biking from Amsterdam to Alkmaar (and Back)

Now I'm a pretty active tourist, but I think that's too far. The thing is, if the wind picks up you're bummed. You could always take the train back I suppose. I think that Muiden, Broek in Waterland or Oudekerk o/d Amstel are much better choices for "non professionals"

Edited: 11:50 am, April 21, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 50
2. Re: Biking from Amsterdam to Alkmaar (and Back)

Google will tell you the fastest way, not the scenic way. In Google it's at least 44 km by car. Usually that comes down to a 60-70 km scenic bike ride, which is about my maximum daily distance and usually takes me almost all day (not 2.5 hours!) with various stops and picknicks. Maybe if you calculate pure biking time apart from food/drinks stops, photo stops, map consulting stops... it might be 4 hours net cycling time, but in my case it always takes much longer (because the picknicking is part of the fun).

Read my post #15 in this thread for tips about the fantastic signposting systems and map systems in the Netherlands. www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

I agree with Pala: stay closer to Amsterdam. For example Durgerdam, Marken, Zuiderwoude, Ransdorp and back. Or Ouderkerk aan de Amstel, Weesp. Or Zaanse Schans. Many options. The Knooppunten system is probably easiest (see the link I mentioned earlier).

You can rent bikes and use maps and follow signposts; or you could book it as a bike tour with a guide, for example through Yellow Bike or MacBike.

And I just discovered this website with good info:

http://holland.cyclingaroundtheworld.nl/

The only thing missing is info about knooppunten / connection points.

The wind can be a killer. I usually check which way it's blowing and decide my route upon it, I always make sure I end with the wind in my back. So if I do a circle I'll start with head wind; or sometimes I take my bike on a train and bike to another place (or back to Amsterdam) with the wind in my back. For 6 euros extra you can take a bike on a train.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Assendelft, The...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Biking from Amsterdam to Alkmaar (and Back)

on http://routeplanner.fietsersbond.nl you can pick various routes (shortest, scenic etc) and see an estimate of the time it will take depending on how fast you expect to go.

Shortest route from Amsterdam Central Station to Alkmaar Station: a little over 37 km.

A more scenic route ("recreatieve route") would be about 45 km.

If your general condition is good, I would say you will be able to do this one way and take the train back (or the other way around).

Edited: 5:23 pm, April 21, 2013
Assendelft, The...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Biking from Amsterdam to Alkmaar (and Back)

BTW this routeplanner also offers the possibility to use the fietsknooppunten netwerk to create a route.

Reply to: Biking from Amsterdam to Alkmaar (and Back)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted