We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulip fields in Alkmaar or surrounding areas?

Which Alkmaar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
reviews: 11
Tulip fields in Alkmaar or surrounding areas?

Hi,

I will be in The Netherlands for a few days beginning May 6. Our plan is to visit Keukenhof the first day and spend the next day in Amsterdam. I was told that if the fields of tulips around Keukenhof have been cut that you may be able to see fields further north towards Alkmaar. Can anyone please give me advice where these fields are located?

We will be traveling by train from Schipol and one main purpose of the trip is to see the blocks of colors from the fields of tulips; it has been on my bucket list for some time now. Are the fields really far from the train station in Alkmaar and what would be the best way to get to them? Any help is much appreciated! I have done searches but can't really find any specific directions. Thanks!

10 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 131
1. Re: Tulip fields in Alkmaar or surrounding areas?

Hi there,

Well a bit useless to dive deep, because May 6 all fields will have been cut. Farmers grow good bulbs, not good flowers - which means cutting the flowers already a few days after blooming. Keukenhof will still have enough flower majesty then because of their different approach...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

netherlands
reviews: 3
2. Re: Tulip fields in Alkmaar or surrounding areas?

Blooming of the tulip fields is weather depending. It COULD be that there are still tulips around early May. The area north of Alkmaar is around the village of Zijpe ( between Schagen and Callantsoog).

Best way to visit is:

- rental car

- by bike from Schagen (see my tip on Virtual Tourist: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/1fc115/)

To be sure if there are still blooming tulips you could contact VVV Callantsoog (Tourist Information) phone: 0224-581541 or VVV Schagen, phone: 0224-298311

More info about the region: http://www.vvvcallantsoog.nl/

happy travels

Jaap

Lisse, The...
reviews: 74
3. Re: Tulip fields in Alkmaar or surrounding areas?

The fields Vtveen is talking about are in the north of Noord Holland. As I said to you in an other topic you can also find flower fields near Alkmaar. On a bike it's about 5 - 10 Km's from Alkmaar station. The fields are situated near Wimmenum, Egmond a.d. Hoef, Egmond Binnen, and Bakkum Noord. You can see them with Google Maps satelite. But if this will help you finding colorful tulip fields? As said by Erik, May 8 is very very late for the fields (but not for the Keukenhof). But it's all about the weather....

Have a look at this page for the fields around Alkmaar: http://www.keesfloor.nl/wolken/bol_bloei.htm

Florida
reviews: 11
4. Re: Tulip fields in Alkmaar or surrounding areas?

Thank you CeesTT and vtveen for your helpful information!!! I know there is very little chance that there will still be fields but if there is any possibility I wanted to know where to go. I wish we could have come over when there was no question that there would still be fields left but we are leaving here the first possible day after final exams. Thank you for all the links, I will definitely call that number before going. I may be able to try and do this on May 5th, it's the day we land but we may try to beat the jet lag to fit it in :)

London, United...
5. Re: Tulip fields in Alkmaar or surrounding areas?

Hi Jaap,

I was planning to visit the tulip fields of Noord Holland and want to see tulip fields with windmill at background. My plan was to visit the Beemster area and the Schermer. Are these areas ok for this kind of a beauty ? If not it will be great if you can suggest any place. Moreover due to this late spring this year, I am planning to reschedule my trip now to beginning of May.

Can you let me know how the fields are at the moment and when will be the best time late Aprl or early May for the fields.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Lisse
reviews: 8
6. Re: Tulip fields in Alkmaar or surrounding areas?

@destinationY As far as I know there are 3 main springflower area's in the Netherlands. The area around Lisse (and Keukenhof) the area in the top of north holland and the area in the Noord oostpolder (Around emmeloord) As far as I know there are no large tulip fields in the Beemster and Schermer area. You need to go much more up in North Holland as Jaap writes in post#2 in the area Zijpe around Schagen or Julianadorp around Den Helder.

Tulips fields with windmills next to it are very rare. Most windmills are photoshopped next to the fields :-)

Turin, Italy
7. Re: Tulip fields in Alkmaar or surrounding areas?

I'm still torn between the choice of coming to holland around the 20th of april or the 28th...the second possibility would be better considering plane prices. anyway, I was wondering: is there a significant difference between the time of blooming in the area of Lisse and in the North of Holland? I mean: let's say I arrive in Lisse the 28th of april and all fields have been cut; if I travel towards North the situation is the same or maybe up there flowers are few days "late" in their blooming (and still there in the fields to be photographed)?

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Lisse
reviews: 8
8. Re: Tulip fields in Alkmaar or surrounding areas?

No there is not a significant difference in the blooming of flower fields around Lisse, top of north Holland and around Emmeloord. Maybe a few days but the area is not that far away from each other that there is a difference in weeks.

What date is best for you to photograph the fields will depend on the weather in the next few weeks. If the temperature will rise than blooming will be earlier than normal and a cold couple of weeks can turn everything in delay. The bulbs are still in the ground at this moment so no signs of blooming soon :-)

Nina

Turin, Italy
9. Re: Tulip fields in Alkmaar or surrounding areas?

Thank you Nina. Good to know. I'll follow the posts here on Tripadvisor in the next weeks. byeee :-)

Monroe, Louisiana
reviews: 10
10. Re: Tulip fields in Alkmaar or surrounding areas?

As many have mentioned, it is all weather dependent. After all of our trips, we find that the North Holland bulb fields have only a difference of a few days and some years there is no difference at all in timing. By May 6, I would bet that this year the bulb fields in the Lisse area will have been cut. I would wait closer to the time to actually make the determination, but if you do travel to North Holland, I would do so by car, and travel to the Anna Paulowna and Julianadorp areas, where there are bulb fields as far as you can see. Whether they will have been cut is yet to be determined. Nring is a very good source of information on here so I would definitely follow her lead. We will arrive this year 18 April and leave on 28 April so we will be posting our discoveries here as well. At any rate, Keukenhof will still be beautiful as they don't cut their tulips in the same manner as the bulb growers. Good luck!

Reply to: Tulip fields in Alkmaar or surrounding areas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted