We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike hire in Eindhoven

Which Eindhoven hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 3
Bike hire in Eindhoven

Hey everyone,

I have seen some great advice on this site about cycle routes around Eindhoven.

I would like to know if there are any local bike shops (in Eindhoven), which hire bicycles from Saturday to Sunday (returning Sunday afternoon). Most hire shops I have found seem not to open on Sunday.

Another option we are considering is hiring the bicycle from Eindhoven and leaving it in Amsterdam. Has anyone done this? Is it possible to collect in one location and return at another?

many thanks in advance!

7 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 48
1. Re: Bike hire in Eindhoven

The NS trainstation rents out bikes. I'd be surprised if they're closed on Sundays but it doesn't really say... ns.nl/reizigers/…fietsverhuur.html > you'd have to phone them.

Until this day I have never heard of a bike rental company that has branches in more cities and allows drop-off in another city.

But you can bring a bike on a train for 6 euros per day (apart from your own train ticket), so if you end up anywhere else than Eindhoven that is a way to bring the bike back.

If you need help on scenic cycle route systems and planning, let me know, I am an avid cyclist and did a 5 day bike holiday from Dordrecht to Eindhoven just this spring.

Cecilia

…xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm#bike

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
2. Re: Bike hire in Eindhoven

With OV fiets it is allowed to return the bike at a different station, it costs 10 euro extra

ov-fiets.nl/binaries/content/assets/OV-fiets…

Amsterdam, The...
3. Re: Bike hire in Eindhoven

Don't you have to have an OV-fiets year-long membership first, Grolland? And can foreigners become members?

4. Re: Bike hire in Eindhoven

Thanks for the advice, it is very useful.

Cecile, could you tell me what the bikes are like at the station. I am not a pro-cyclist (far from it!), but we have 200k to do!

best wishes

Amsterdam, The...
5. Re: Bike hire in Eindhoven

Don't know what kind of bikes they have. Probably no-gear bikes with backward pedal brake. But they may also rent out 3 gear bikes or more gears, which of course comes in handy on a bike holiday.

Phone them to ask what types of bikes they have.

Read more in this thread about bikes, transporting luggage on a bike, how many kilometers to aim for, scenic route systems, letting the wind decide where you go, etc. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188554-i5823-k669…

Have fun!

Edited: 4:41 pm, September 05, 2013
6. Re: Bike hire in Eindhoven

Hi. Thanks for all the advice, it has been very useful.

I wonder if I could ask for some further suggestions. I will be arriving in Eindhoven on Saturday morning and need to be in Rotterdam by the evening. Can anyone suggest a good route, taking in as many cities/towns as possible? If we cannot make the distance in a day, we would catch a train the rest of the journey.

Many thanks in advance,

Kevin.

Amsterdam, The...
7. Re: Bike hire in Eindhoven

Well in theory the fastest bike route is 115km, which probably means the scenic route is about 150km.

I took 4 days to cycle Dordrecht - Eindhoven, following the wind and taking in more distance and scenic towns (such as Heusden, Lieshout, Mariahout and more). If you want to do more distance (Rotterdam is further than Doredrecht) in 1/4th of the time I took, that is up to you but it will be hard work especially if you don't have the best gear, and perhaps headwind all the way. And perhaps rain all day. (I don't know when you plan on doing this.)

Also be aware that apparently the national park called Biesbosch near Dordrecht is under construction and lots of bike paths are closed off, changing every day.

So yeah it's a good idea to check which train stations are along the way and what the options are inbetween Eindhoven and there. Cycling Eindhoven - Tilburg is probably much more realistic for a beginner on a rented simple bike with no special panniers. Beware that the area around Tilburg train station is under construction and you need to walk through a sandy 'field' for a while.

The fastest bike routes (red lettering on white signs) are often alongside smelly motorways and not very inspiring, and can be boring and ugly. The scenic ones (green lettering on white signs) are much nicer, but are detours through forests, heathland, past farms and meadows and cute towns, and more kilometers and take more time. More explanations about scenic signposting systems in that other thread I mentioned in post #5.

50km would be a nice daily distance for a beginner or even for a mellow biker who likes to enjoy scenery and take breaks like me. Eindhoven - Tilburg via scenic routes should be about 50km.

Edited: 7:51 pm, September 14, 2013
Reply to: Bike hire in Eindhoven
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted