We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental near train station?

Which Breda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Peterborough, Canada
reviews: 10
Car rental near train station?

Is there a car rental company anywhere near the Breda train station?

15 replies to this topic
Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
1. Re: Car rental near train station?

Not really, I'm afraid, as far as I know. Most rental companies (Avis, Europcar, Budget, Hertz) are located at the Krogten business park, about 20 minutes walk from the station. However, you can rent bicycles at the station ;).

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 48
2. Re: Car rental near train station?

In some cities the rental agency doesn't mind bringing the car to any address in the center or to specific points. I've had a car brought to me at Glasgow station, and in Reykjavik to a specific address. Who knows some of the Breda companies might be willing to do the same.

Peterborough, Canada
3. Re: Car rental near train station?

That's thinking on your feet! I hadn't thought of that yet, but I was still hoping to find that they were closer. Thank you.; that solves my problem.

Amsterdam, The...
4. Re: Car rental near train station?

I hope it does! In my case, in Glasgow the guy came to pick me up at the train station for free and we went to the agency.

In Reykjavik they came to the house where I was staying and they had a mobile credit card device with which I could do the payment on the spot and he made his own way back to his office (Sixt). He left the car there for me to use immediately.

I have no idea whether rental agencies here in the Netherlands are willing to do that sort of thing.

Peterborough, Canada
5. Re: Car rental near train station?

Further to my Breda enquiry; the map on raileurope.ca shows an apparent extension of the Chunnel high speed line going through Lille and swinging through Brussels and Antwerp and Breda, on its way to Amsterdam. But none of the RailPlus maps show the line at all.. I need to know, because I want to drop off a car at Lille, catch the fast train to Brussels and later to Breda, where I will pick up a Dutch car and drive at least as far as Amsterdam before catching another train to Hamburg. Vacation on the run. I'm at a disadvantage without a current (or any) schedule.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
6. Re: Car rental near train station?

Sure, you can take the highspeed train (TGV) from Paris to Lille, it takes just one hour.

See www.bahn.de for schedules

Why do you want to go by car from Breda to Amsterdam? Train seems easier.

Edited: 3:40 am, November 12, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
7. Re: Car rental near train station?

Have a look at www.seat61.com for loads of info on all the trains you could possibly imagine.

Any reason you want to drive a car in crowded, congested Netherlands?

And don't even think of driving in hectic, bicycle-dominated Amsterdam proper.

You're better off dropping off a car at Schiphol airport and then taking a train to Amsterdam. Or better yet, taking a train all the way from Breda to Amsterdam, city center to city center, hassle-free.

www.9292.nl/en for a door to door public transport planner for the entire Netherlands.

Edited: 3:44 am, November 12, 2013
Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
8. Re: Car rental near train station?

Also, don't use Raileurope. They are a reseller and are known to sell overpriced tickets. Best use www.bahn.de for timetables and the national railways companies like www.sncf-europe.fr www.b-europe.be www.hispeed.nl for booking.

Why do you want to drive from Breda to Amsterdam? The train is faster on this line.

Edited: 5:59 am, November 12, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
9. Re: Car rental near train station?

Yes and our train guru "The man in seat 61" (the one from that website) says that the b-europe website is most convenient and accepts more payment methods.

Peterborough, Canada
10. Re: Car rental near train station?

Thanks to all the above for your help; I obviously have a lot of work to do. Some years ago, we did an extensive European excursion as guests of Rail Europe, and coming from North America where Passenger train travel went out with steam, we were totally blown away, and have never seen reason to look further.

That said, we're getting too old for all the luggage hauling involved, and absence of luggage storage at stations where we just want to get off for a while to sightsee, is a problem. This is our first trip to the area, so where practical, we'll get off the train inside the border and rent a car till the next border. Inter-country drop-off fees are impossibly high.

We've considered the congestion issue, and in Amsterdam where we have visited downtown,previously, we're mainly going to see Keukenhof (in early May), and leaving by train. We'd like to visit the Rijksmuseum now that it's re-opened, but Still have our luggage to get to Central Station - as seniors, and one of us a woman, we don't travel light.

We do want to poke about looking at tulips and windmills, and go into Rotterdam for a harbour tour. Are we still crazy to choose the roads? When we arrive by train in Calais, we're renting, wandering down the coast to Normandy, then up through the big cathedral towns to the battlefields of northern France, especially Vimy (we're Canadians, eh?), and will take the train through Belgium, stopping at Brussels. Maybe now you will tell us what else not to miss, given the luggage issue. And we've been to Paris, thanks.

Reply to: Car rental near train station?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Breda