We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to visit from Maastricht

Which Maastricht hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Africa
reviews: 6
Places to visit from Maastricht

Hi

We are a couple who will be staying in Maastricht for 2 weeks in May 2014. We will be travelling with Eurail, and would like to make the most of the location. Germany, the rest of the Netherlands, Belgium and hopefully France? Will this be possible? I am aware of the fact that you need to pay a surcharge on the French trains.

Has anybody done this before, and can you suggest interesting places to go to?

We are obviously thinking of Cologne, Antwerp, Ghent, Amsterdam, and would love to go to Keukenhof. Is this a good time of the year for a visit to the gardens? Any other villages, towns or places we should consider?

I would appreciate any help.....we are particularly fond of the old towns.

Many thanks

Pauline

Utrecht, The...
reviews: 18
1. Re: Places to visit from Maastricht

The German city is Aachen is only a short bus ride from Maastricht and well worth a visit (1 day).

Amsterdam is about a 2,5 hour train ride away from Maastricht, however it is a direct connection so you can just sit back and relax. You might wanna consider a hotel in Amsterdam for 1 or 2 nights as there's a lot to see and going back and forth to Maastricht is a real hassle. From Amsterdam you can take a bus to Marken or Volendam in order to visit some traditional old villages. I believe a bus there takes about 30 minutes. Other towns you could visit in this part of the country are Utrecht, The Hague, Leiden or Delft. However they are all pretty close together in the west side of the country and it would require a lot of train travel back and forth to Maastricht every day.

For Belgium, Gent and Bruges are usually recommended. They are about 2,5 hour train journey from Maastricht and would require a stop over at Liege. You can plan your international journey here: nshispeed.nl/en/international-train-timetable

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
reviews: 1
2. Re: Places to visit from Maastricht

Monschau is very nice as well. And in Belgium, Brugge is the top destination to go, although a bit far from Maastricht.

South Africa
3. Re: Places to visit from Maastricht

Thanks Nielsch. The fact that you did not mention any place in France, means that it is not realistic to try for a visit there? We are not thinking of Paris, we just thought with one of the high speed trains, we will be able to experience a little bit of perhaps Normandy, or even something closer to the border?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
reviews: 1
4. Re: Places to visit from Maastricht

Normandy is pretty much out of the way. To get there by train you will have to pass Paris first.

Paris can be reached in 3.15 hours with changes in Liege and Brussels

Edited: 3:20 am, November 07, 2013
Utrecht, The...
5. Re: Places to visit from Maastricht

The best part of France - to me - is the South but that's way to far from Maastricht, that's why I didn't mention it. Paris is great to visit but it would take 3 hours and 15 minutes and two stopovers.

Lille is also a nice French town. Would take you 2,5 hours and two stopovers in Liege and Brussels. However if you're going that way anyway I'd add 45 minutes to the journey and go for Paris.

Edited: 6:57 am, November 07, 2013
Utrecht, The...
6. Re: Places to visit from Maastricht

From Lille you can go to Ypres to visit the WW1 battlefields, if that's your thing. A bit closer than Normandy.

Maastricht itself also has beautiful surroundings. Valkenburg and Meerssen are well worth a visit and only a short journey by train.

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
reviews: 67
7. Re: Places to visit from Maastricht

You will be staying in Maastricht for 2 weeks visiting family, i presume?

So you won't need any help in that direction?! Sorry, don't know anything about trains; never use them myself...If you do need any suggestions about Maastricht and it's surroundings, please just ask!

Gr,

South Africa
8. Re: Places to visit from Maastricht

Thank you so much for all the ideas. We are a mature couple who has been to Europe before, and has been to Paris twice (so that is not essential to go again this time). We have missed out on the South of Holland and we thought that Maastricht is a perfect location, since you can visit more than one country without traveling with suitcases all the time. We are looking at self catering accommodation in Maastricht (any ideas?) and would like to use that as our base for 2 weeks.

We would like to venture into Germany, Belgium and obviously the Netherlands, but if at all possible, would like to go to an interesting town on the French side (if at all possible) We have done the south of France extensively and loved it, but know nothing about the north or the north east of the country. Perhaps a little place that is accessible from Liege?

Again, thank you for all of you who are contributing to this blog - you are a great help, and things are starting to fall into place.

9. Re: Places to visit from Maastricht

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 09, 2014