We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valkenburg to Maastricht for Rieu concert - best way?

Which Maastricht hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brecon, United...
reviews: 31
Valkenburg to Maastricht for Rieu concert - best way?

Hi. I'm thinking about taking my parents to an Andre Rieu concert in July. Maastricht hotels are too expensive for our budget but found a few in Valkenburg. just wondering whether anyone could recommend the best way to get to the concert and back. I will have a car but not sure what the parking situation will be in Maastricht. A you :)

3 replies to this topic
Oegstgeest, The...
1. Re: Valkenburg to Maastricht for Rieu concert - best way?

The best option is to take the train from Valkenburg to Maastricht. The Vrijthof is in walking distance from the station.

http://goo.gl/maps/HxiBa

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 43
2. Re: Valkenburg to Maastricht for Rieu concert - best way?

There are parking garages in Maastricht but I agree with the previous poster to take the train. There are long term roadworks in Maastricht till 2016 because they are building 2 tunnels and esp with a concert there can be long delays at the traffic lights. Take the train.

Stoke on Trent
reviews: 4
3. Re: Valkenburg to Maastricht for Rieu concert - best way?

Probably train should take the strain.....but check the last trains back! The concert usually finishes around midnight, then you have to get to the station from Vrijthof - and remember that 1000s of others will be leaving the Square at the same time. Will you make the last train? I don't think Valkenburg is too far away....might be worthwhile looking into the possibility of pre-booking a taxi to take you back. Last year when we went to the concert there were still people in the Square for ages after the concert still enjoying the party mood and I know taxis cannot get right to the Square itself as roads are blocked off. (We had to walk about 500 yds to our hotel last year as the taxi couldn't drop us outside.) Also worth considering - how good are the parents at walking? I know it would take me a lot longer than 10 mins to walk from Station to Vrijthof because I am not the best walker....

There is an underground car park beneath the Square but when we walked by it always seemed full! Maybe if you could just afford to stay the night of the concert in Maastricht and park your car there - that might be the answer....obviously depending on parents ability to walk any distance and train times. (I guess parents not up to overnight on a park bench!)

Maybe not a helpful reply as such, but hopefully giving some food for thought.

Reply to: Valkenburg to Maastricht for Rieu concert - best way?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted