We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains to aachen

Which Maastricht hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Trains to aachen

Hi

I am thinking of heading to Maastricht in two weeks time.

While in the area I was thinking of heading over to Aachen for a day

I checked it up on Bahn.de and found a regular service taking about 1hr but doing a quick search here saw posts saying that there was no train service between the two cities.

So if it is just a bus service how long in the journey and how much is a day return to Aachen

7 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 125
1. Re: Trains to aachen

Hi there,

Bahn.de often also gives buses.....

There is train but with a detour: through Heerlen.

See either bahn.de or www.9292.nl/en for the times and prices.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Utrecht, The...
reviews: 16
2. Re: Trains to aachen

Bus 50 from Maastricht central station to Aachen central station departs every 30 minutes and takes about an hour. Aachen is a nice city for a day trip.

There is a train connection but you will have to change trains in Heerlen. It also takes longer than the direct bus.

Edited: 5:12 am, September 01, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
3. Re: Trains to aachen

Thanks

I have used Bahn.de a lot for planning trips in Germany and Austria but never realised it dealt with buses too - dough.

I found a bus time table for trips to Aachen and it is quoting me abut 19€ for day return full fare is this right

Edited: 12:44 pm, September 01, 2013
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 125
4. Re: Trains to aachen

Yes that sounds about right. 9292 site is not good in this as it tries to offer the price for the Dutch PAYG card which is lower but not for tourists.

Yes Bahn also covers buses, we used it nicely for train-bus combinations in Harz Germany!

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
reviews: 59
5. Re: Trains to aachen

We did a day trip from Maastricht to Aachen by bus. We got the number 50 bus from Maastricht bus station. The cost was €7 return per person. The buses left every 15 or 20 minutes. I can't remember exactly but there were lots of them. The bus drops you off in the centre of Aachen just outside the theatre. I think the stop is called the theatre stop. The journey takes about an hour.

I didn't really like Aachen. The area around the cathedral was lovely but small in area. Inside the cathedral was stunningly beautiful. There was a small market there when we arrived and that was nice. The main shopping area was like every other main shopping area in the world with the same brand names. Pretty horrible and dirty. The bus journey was interesting, seeing the countryside. The were a lot of roadworks taking place that caused a lot of delay.

London, United...
reviews: 9
6. Re: Trains to aachen

Where can I buy tickets for bus 50? From bus driver? Thanks

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
reviews: 59
7. Re: Trains to aachen

Yes. We got ours from the bus driver.

Reply to: Trains to aachen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted