We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best espresso in Maastricht?

Which Maastricht hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
reviews: 15
Best espresso in Maastricht?

Good day to all.

We're currently spending a few days exploring Maastricht for the first time. We're staying near the main train station and using our feet and public transport only. We're enjoying our time so far (the weather is fabulous!), but my husband would enjoy things more if he weren't missing his daily espresso. He's a bit picky about what he drinks and doesn't usually like to try a new place and be disappointed. Would anyone have suggestions for a place in town that serves excellent espresso (and not just good coffee)? It would be much appreciated.

Dank u wel.

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
reviews: 66
1. Re: Best espresso in Maastricht?

There's a Nespresso bar on the 2nd floor in Warehouse De Bijenkorf where you can try samples for free, but i would go to Coffeelovers at Plein 1992 nr.15, Maastricht.

http://www.coffeelovers.nl/menu/

They have a sidewalk cafe where you sit outside and do some people watching.

Wellknown for it's coffee in Maastricht which they buy from Royal blender Blanche Dael in the downtownarea.(Wolfstreet).

From the trainstation walk straight ahead towards the St.Servaas Bridge. When you almost reached the Bridge enter the street to your left(Rechtstraat).(Bistro Bufkes on the corner)

Follow to the end and make a turn to the left and you'll se a Icecreamshop called Gelateria Luna Rossa to your right(Delicious ice!!). Go right here, and you'll see Coffeelovers at the end on the corner.

Oregon
2. Re: Best espresso in Maastricht?

Thank you so much for this reply. Your level of detail is very appreciated, as was the recommendation. My husband was quite happy with the espresso at Coffee Lovers and I was very happy with the nearby gelato place. Finding a large Albert Heijn near there was a nice bonus too. We also used quite a few of your other recommendations to other travelers in this forum. Our time in Maastricht was very enjoyable as a result. It was good that we had such a nice time in the city, because the trip back home by train today was not nice in the least, thanks to all the work on the tracks and then another problem that happened on the tracks during the afternoon. It took us 7 hours and 5 transfers to get back to Den Haag.)

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
3. Re: Best espresso in Maastricht?

Good to hear you enjoyed the ice cream and the espresso.

I thought you lived in Oregon though, which we will visit next month.

Sorry for the grammatical errors in my previous reply; i was in a hurry ;-)

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 55
4. Re: Best espresso in Maastricht?

Oh no, that sounds quite horrible, Mongrelmuppet! But it's good to hear you enjoyed Maastricht. Not many tourists make an effort to see anything else but Amsterdam.

You can claim costs back for your train ticket because of the long delay (the part that was not announced beforehand), but I think it involves paper forms... ns.nl/en/…refunds-for-delays

I don't know if you want to try it.

Enjoy the rest of your time in the Netherlands!

Oregon
5. Re: Best espresso in Maastricht?

Lelici49, we consider Oregon our permanent home. We lived there almost 20 years and will be going back, but for the last 5 years, we have lived in Den Haag for my husband's work. His contract keeps being extended. I somehow never got around to changing all my internet accounts to say NL. Maybe because we never knew how long we would be here.

September in Oregon is often very beautiful. A good time to visit. If you like beer, you will have many many good choices. I miss it a great deal, but we are enjoying our time here too.

Oregon
6. Re: Best espresso in Maastricht?

Cecile74, it wasn't pleasant, that's for sure! Very confused and not enough information shared in a timely way. Several times, it was just suddenly announced: this train goes no further, get off now. And at times, we were also given conflicting information by conductors and information staff. A train that was to split at Gouda (part going to Den Haag and part going to Rotterdam), had the wrong information on the platform displays vs. the way the train actually came into the station. It was a proper mess! It was a good thing we have years of experience now with NL and European trains and know the geography fairly well. (We aren't technically typical tourists--we've lived in Den Haag for years now--but it was our first trip to Maastricht, so "visitors" maybe?) We were also traveling very light and had minimal luggage. It was still far too long and difficult of a trip. I do think I shouldn't have to pay for it, given the problems we encountered, but it wasn't really all that expensive a trip to start with, given that we have a local train discount card, and while I'd love to at least complain in writing, I just don't think it's worth the effort and my time. I'd rather focus on writing up the good reviews for the things we really enjoyed in Maastricht.

Amsterdam, The...
7. Re: Best espresso in Maastricht?

I guess that's a good way to deal with it, waste no more energy on it. It's behind you now.

Have you ever been to Nijmegen? My favourite city in the Netherlands after Amsterdam. Loads of history (it's over 2000 years old), nice vibe, beautiful architecture, scenic surroundings (if you happen to like bike rides), nice park, good restaurants, arthouse cinemas. If you liked Maastricht there is a good chance you'll enjoy Nijmegen. Whenever you're ready to take on the NS again ;-)

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
8. Re: Best espresso in Maastricht?

Yes, i heard that September is a great month to visit OR. May i ask where you lived there?

I also read there's no sales tax in Oregon...sweet. I better hide my CC for my wife ;-)

About the train delays; first of all, we ourselves never travel by train because of all the hassle, but our neighbour does a lot!

She knew about the delays in advance; she even did visit her daughter in Amsterdam a day later as she planned because of the trackworks, so it must be announced somewhere i gues.

I hope you will have more luck the next time you visit Maastricht!

Gr,

Amsterdam, The...
9. Re: Best espresso in Maastricht?

Railroad works are mentioned in www.ns.nl, for example when you plan your journey in there. Also in their app "Reisplanner". But it sounds like it was not just works but other trouble too which won't be in any app or website. Although once the headquarters know what's going on, it's sometimes mentioned in the app *before* you hear it over the speakers.

Oregon
10. Re: Best espresso in Maastricht?

We lived in several of the suburbs on the west side of Portland, OR (Beaverton, Tigard, Hillsboro.)

Yes, it's true about no sales tax. But for residents or people who work in the state, it is made up for in income and other taxes. You always pay somehow, but it is good for most visitors (especially if you like to shop! If you know anyone who likes to knit, Portland has some of the best yarn/wol shops in the US. Big craft and hobby shops too. A lot of interesting clothing shops as well. Also, if you have any interest in thrift/charity/kringloop-type shops, Portland has a great many of these and they are often excellent.)

It's also true that you cannot pump your own gas into your vehicle in Oregon. There are attendants to do it for you. It is one of the only places in the US where this is the case.

As for the NL trains, we don't own a car or drive here, for various reasons (including that driving and dealing with parking is stressful for both of us, even in the US.) Usually, we find the public transport system quite good, despite some minor problems on occasion. We know sometimes it limits what we can do and see, but we are OK with that. On this trip, we had to return on a specific day due to my husband's work schedule. We knew there would be some works happening because yes, the NS site did have a warning that we would need to take a bus detour to Sittard and then find our train to Eindhoven from there. That was OK. It only added 20 minutes and a minor hassle to our trip. Cecile74 is correct--it was the unexpected disturbance/problem in a tunnel (near Dordrecht, if I remember correctly) after that point (and the way the changes were handled and communicated by NS) that caused all our delays and problems. Not everyone owns or travels with a smartphone or other device that can access changing information or warnings from websites, either, so there were many of us having to rely on the announcements and information from employees. It would have been far more than just aggravating if we HAD been "normal" tourists without the knowledge we have or if we had been trying to catch a flight or some such. I felt especially bad for the young Italian family with two small children, one an infant in a stroller, and all their luggage (even though it was not excessive for that size family.) They had many more problems to deal with than us, including more of a language barrier. (We did help them as much as we could.)