We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

There's More To Maastricht Than Rieu!

Which Maastricht hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Meath, County Louth
reviews: 170
There's More To Maastricht Than Rieu!

I'm not really surprised to see that the Maastricht forum has gone into hibernation since the end of the Maastricht Maestro's series of concerts. Obviously the word hasn't spread that this beautiful city is a wonderful place to visit and doesn't need the enticement of its famous son to lure people to visit.

Yes, I was one of the many thousands to descend on the city over the past few months. My mother (her 75th birthday gift), my sister and myself. Mum attended the concert on two nights - once inside the Vrijthof and I accompanied the two of them on a Terrace package on the second night.

We couldn't get over how clean everywhere was and how friendly and welcoming everyone was to us in the midst of the mayhem of the hoards descending and taking over their city.

We managed to fit quite a lot into our 2 night stay. A cruise on the river, a trip around the city on the solar powered trolley bus, shopping in some of the beautiful household shops hidden down alleyways and pottering around the beautiful cobbled streets. We also attended the 10am Latin Mass at the Basicilica on the Sunday morning. I'm not really a church goer, but it was a very special occasion and between the smell of incense and the beautiful singing from the choir, it brought a tear to my eye. Beautiful music always makes me cry. I cried twice in Maastricht.

We had flown into Eindhoven and rented a car which gave us the flexibility of being able to explore further afield.

One of the highlights for me was getting out and experiencing the magnificent countryside all thanks to Lelici49's great route he suggested to me here on this thread tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g188575-i1264-k6550… We did it on the Saturday morning and leisurely ambled from one beautiful village to another, detouring slightly to pass "The Castle"!!. Incidentially we did stop for Icecream. What a treat, even if it was only 11am!! We also spent the afternoon in Thorn en route back to Eindhoven. A beautiful town too and the Pancakes we had on the Square were the nicest I have ever had.

A big thanks to you Lelici49. Incidentially, since I began lurking on the Maastricht forum in early January I always delighted in reading your posts. I am glad to see that your patience, knowledge and generosity has been acknowledged and recognised with your DE badge.

I'll be honest and say that The Netherlands has never been on my radar for a holiday destination. Maastricht has changed all that and I'm now looking forward to planning a trip to explore more of your beautiful country. One thing for certain is that Maastricht will factor in for at least a three night stay. I left a piece of my heart behind, and need to return to collect it.

Thanks to everyone who contributes and especially to those with the patience in answering the relentless round of Rieu Questions. Take your well deserved break until 2014 dates are announced ;-)

When my mum asked for a spoon so that I could share her "8 scoop (medium) icecream, the man told her....

"Lady, This is Limburg. In Limburg we don't share our food - only our love"

We felt the love and it helped us making our special memories with a special mother.

Thank you Maastricht :-)

Edited: 6:08 pm, July 21, 2013
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
reviews: 72
1. Re: There's More To Maastricht Than Rieu!

Thanks LP I enjoyed reading your post.

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
reviews: 64
2. Re: There's More To Maastricht Than Rieu!

Wonderful tripreport, LP!! This should be on our Tourist Office entrance.

I'm very glad you had such a nice time in Maastricht, eventhough the weather wasn't that great. The Dutch weather is mostly one of extremes: it's 15C or 34C, like it is today, there's often nothing in between. But i guess that will be same in Ireland...??

How many scoops of icecream did you have? Also 8 like your mum? Wow, 8 scoops! I'll bet they closed the store after you left...hahaha. Great icecream, isn't it?!

We've been there yesterday on one of our hikes in the cool woods, and we had to wait for 15 minutes for our turn, but it was worth the wait.

Great you decided to explore more of the Netherlands, there's only one downside to that: you already visited it's the most beautifull area!! ;-))

LittlePumpkin, thank you again for promoting Maastricht, and nomanating me. If you ever need any help when visiting The Netherlands, just sent me a pm, and i'll try to make your next visit (almost) as nice as this one was!

Cheers from a hot Maastricht!!!!

Edited: 10:25 am, July 23, 2013
Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Meath, County Louth
reviews: 170
3. Re: There's More To Maastricht Than Rieu!

Hi Box! Gosh, you'd never know where you'd meet one of your Irish pals :-)

Leici - We really enjoyed ourselves. You're right, Ireland can get 4 seasons in the one day, albeit we have had beautiful weather over the past while.

Would you believe, I didn't have an Icecream myself. Icecream at 11am just didn't appeal, especially as we had only had breakfast a couple of hours previously, and moreso when I saw the portion sizes. Mum had one of those fruit cups - beautiful Limburg cherries/strawberries layered with scoops of strawberry and vanilla icecream. She declined the whipped cream! My sister had a "small" cone, 4 scoops! - mocha and pistachio flavours. I had a cup of coffee, but of course I had to sample the others, (hence my mum's request for a spoon) Think it all came to €8.90. Such good value for such a vast quantity of delicious homemade icecream. Was only sorry that we couldn't buy some of their jams to take home with us, but as we were travelling with handluggage only, it wasn't feasible.

We had fun with two couples, who like us I imagine were there on a first visit. They over-ordered, but ate every single morsel. The waffles, fruit and icecream looked really delicious. It really is a special place, and I can understand why people are prepared to queue, and I'd bet there is lots of fun and interactions. The man behind the counter certainly was a character.

Have just told my Irish friend Box-The-Fox that he should consider a visit in September, and I'm hoping that I have convinced him that he really needs to go. My hubbie and I were considering returning in late September as well, but my husband has since convinced me to go to Tuscany instead.

So, Maastricht and Limburg will have to wait until early 2014

Looking forward to it already :-)

Tennent Creek NT
4. Re: There's More To Maastricht Than Rieu!

Well LittlePumkin you have convinced me! Have been wondering what to do for a week which I have spare in October. Maybe I can knock on Andre's door and get invited in for a cuppa tea or perhaps they might be rehearsing for 2014 concerts HaHa

5. Re: There's More To Maastricht Than Rieu!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 27, 2014