We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

friesland

South Africa
friesland

Mature couple would like advise on how to see maximum of Friesland in only two days. Want to cross lake Ijssel from Amsterdam, go through the Afsluitdijk and see some beautiful villages and small fishing towns before returning to Amsterdam. What would be best route for that and what transport is available.

6 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 132
1. Re: friesland

Well, it's a typical area to use a rented car. There are bus lines and the odd railway line but very Leeuwarden/Heerenveen/Sneek centric.

A few highlights:

* Leeuwarden, Stavoren, Hindeloopen, Bolsward, Sneek towns

* A boat trip on at least one of the big lakes, if the climate of your chosen season permits such

A wadden island (Ameland, Vlieland, Terschelling) is a separate essential part of the province but probably out of reach due to your time constraints. You could at least visit the north coast near e.g. Holwerd to get a glimpse of that sea/province part also.

Hope this helps as a start,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

South Africa
2. Re: friesland

Thank you, every bit of information is so welcome. Your suggestion to hire a car opened a lot more possibilities. Giethoorn seems such a beautiful little town but according to the maps, is totally off the beaten track. We are plannig to visit Friesland after a Bike/barge trip between Amsterdam and Bruges beginning of May.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 132
3. Re: friesland

I'd definitely also add Giethoorn/Blokzijl area yes, though formally it's Overijssel province. Car is best way to combine it.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
4. Re: friesland

i drove to giethoorn...pretty long drive but worth it...passed through a couple nice towns along the way...like zwolle..

netherlands
reviews: 3
5. Re: friesland

To add some more (little) towns:

- Workum, with the very interesting 'Jopie Huisman Museum' (flickr.com/photos/…set-72157624829111941)

- IJlst, has a beautiful windmill (flickr.com/photos/…set-72157624829111941)

- Allingawier (nearby Bolsward) with an open air museum (flickr.com/photos/…set-72157624829111941)

- Lemmer (on your way to Giethoorn) has the famous 'Woudagemaal', the only steam-driven pumping engine ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/vtveen/5708081182/in/set-72157624829111941)

- Sloten, the smallest of the 'eleven Friesland cities' (flickr.com/photos/…)

If visiting Giethoorn I highly recommend to take a look in Dwarsgracht, not as touristy as Giethoorn (flickr.com/photos/…set-72157625043252817)

happy travels

Jaap

Edited: 4:01 am, February 12, 2012
Victoria, Canada
reviews: 17
6. Re: friesland

We rented a small car at Shiphol at 10 am then drove over the afsluitdijk to Bolsward, spend about an hour there sightseeing, then drove to Sneek and had lunch on a terrace next to a canal in the middle of the city. We then went south. did Ijlst, Heeg, Balk, Oude, and Nijemirdum stopped for a snack then drove all along the coast up to the afsluitdijk, saw Stavoren, Hindelopen and Workum spend some time in each town with plenty of stops along the way, We were back in A'dam for dinner at 8 . Great trip, I had done this before when I had a week there so was familiar with the area, love this place!

Reply to: friesland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Friesland Province
More Friesland Province Topics