We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary help needed

Which The Netherlands hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ozark
reviews: 75
itinerary help needed

My granddaughter (13) wants to go to this country when she could have picked anywhere in the wor ld to visit. What is the best way to plan 6-7 days traveling? Is there a travel agent that would help? Should we drive or take the train? We could also to go Belgium and Luxembourg. I am familiar with many places in europe but I have never traveled in The Netherlands. What are the places you would recommend? I would rather take day trips out from 2-3 places instead of going out everyday and staying there, if possible.

Thanks for your help. We want to end up in London and I'm not sure how to best get there from these other countries.

Donna

9 replies to this topic
Igo, California
reviews: 34
1. Re: itinerary help needed

There's a lot left out of your question. It sounds like you will be traveling in Europe already - where would you be coming from? What time of year will you be doing this? What is your budget? What are your interests?

Most tourists visit Amsterdam for several days, then make side trips out of the city. The Netherlands is a small country and tourist attractions are easily accessible by bus or train. You do not need or want a car in Amsterdam.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 62
2. Re: itinerary help needed

I don't really understand the question either. Are Belgium and Luxemburg supposed to fit into those 6-7 days? Would you fly all the way over here for just one week? (Meaning you won't be able to do all that much on your first day, tired and jetlagged...)

What is up with London, also part of the 6-7 day plan, or is that after? How much time do you really have in total?

Don't forget that traveling from place to place also costs time and you won't be able to do all that much else on such a travel day, what with checking out, storing luggage or getting to a train station / air field, traveling, finding your way, getting to new hotel etc.

And indeed, interests, likes, dislikes? Why did your granddaughter pick this country?

During which season would you be visiting?

You can find a lot of general info in a guidebook such as Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, Trotter, etc... Such as how public transport is organized, what the highlights of the country are, how to reach them, various suggested itineraries for a week or for two weeks, or for specific interests; how much to budget and which means to use for paying things, dangers/annoyances, etc.

It usually works best to do some reading up first and then use forums for specific questions that are not anwered by the guidebook, or to check whether the plans you've come up with are feasible, for example the places you want to see in a specific timeframe and the means of transport you think of using.

And I guess all the info can also be found on the internet but I always find that more scattered and I like to leaf through a paper book and write my notes in it.

Just one general remark: though Belgium and Luxemburg are closer by, you can reach Paris faster than Belgian places like Bruges or Ghent. And Paris has a good train connection to London as well. You may want to fly open jaw, into Amsterdam, then trains to Paris and on to London, then fly home from London. Just an idea. But options are limitless.

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Ozark
3. Re: itinerary help needed

We fly from the States into Amsterdam, where I've been before, next May and we plan to be in that area for a week and then we will go to London and fly home from there. We have no set itinerary at this point, and we are willing to stay in The Netherlands, I just need an idea from local people,or from those who have visited -what is exciting and unusual that my granddaughter might enjoy. We would like to use trains.

Is it feasible to stay 7 nts in amsterdam and simply do day trips out? Or should we rent a car and drive from place to place?

Thanks.

Igo, California
4. Re: itinerary help needed

Stay in Amsterdam and take a bus or train for day trips. The Netherlands is small and unless you have compelling reasons for driving, a car will be an expensive hindrance. Public transportation is excellent.

If you have a look at the Amsterdam forum, you will find many of your questions about what to do and day trips answered in the Top Questions to the right of this column.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g188590-i60-Amster…

It is easy to get to London from Amsterdam. There are numerous flights from Schipol every day, or you can take a train/ferry or a train/chunnel (depending on how you arrange it).

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 62
5. Re: itinerary help needed

[what is exciting and unusual ]

Google these terms...

Fierljeppen

Wadlopen

Flyboarding

Or if you want better recommendations please read post 2 and answer some of my questions.

[Or should we rent a car and drive from place to place?]

No.

Ozark
6. Re: itinerary help needed

Thanks for your suggestions of what people there do for fun-she will love this!

Donna

Positano, Italy
reviews: 39
7. Re: itinerary help needed

" My granddaughter (13) wants to go to this country when she could have picked anywhere in the wo rld to visit"

+

" we are willing to stay in the Netherlands "

For some reason I get the feeling that you are not at all happy with your granddaughter's choice.....

www.windnwheels.nl for land sailing

Ozark
8. Re: itinerary help needed

Not at all-it's just that there are other countries close by, and we want to give her the best possible experience. Looking for direction before we book hotels, or an apartment in Amsterdam. I appreciate your help and ideas.

Igo, California
9. Re: itinerary help needed

You can easily take a day trip to see a little of another country - for instance, Antwerp or Koln.

Reply to: itinerary help needed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted