We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speeding ticket, but it wasn't us!

Which The Netherlands hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
reviews: 10
Speeding ticket, but it wasn't us!

I love the Netherlands and the Dutch language, and we visited the Netherlands for the third time in 2012. After we returned home we received 2 speeding tickets in the mail a couple of days apart. The one - I remember the moment I got "blitzed", and we paid it. It was fair.

The second one (for 227 EUROS) was from a city we DID NOT VISIT, made out to a car and license plate WE DID NOT RENT. At the given time of this supposed infraction we were in Italy, but since we paid everything in cash there, we don't have a paper trail to easily prove it! My husband called the phone number on the ticket and spoke with someone, we have written several letters (in English and German) to the Dutch government explaining the situation with our car rental info, and we gather from the Dutch letters we receive that they continue to insist on being paid. We don't speak Dutch, but I'm sure we understood the letters correctly.

Sadly, this experience is tarnishing my happy memories of the Netherlands. I would like to leave doors open to visit again and would like to have a clear record.

Any advice? We would be very appreciative.

10 replies to this topic
Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
1. Re: Speeding ticket, but it wasn't us!

Could it be a mistake of the rental company? In that case, complaining at the rental company would probably make more sense.

I'm surprised that the Dutch government actually bothers to send speeding tickets to Canada, by the way.

There is also a special forum for victims of speeding tickets: http://www.flitsservice.nl/phpBB/

I'm sure they will be able to help if you post a message in English (for example in the 'Wet Mulder (M)' subforum).

Canada
2. Re: Speeding ticket, but it wasn't us!

Thank you for your suggestion. The Dutch Government sent information which they had presumably received from the rental car company that listed my name and the correct license plate we had. On the ticket in question, however, they listed my name with a different license plate number, which we did not have, and which the rental company papers did not list!!! They SITLL insist we pay this ticket, even though we've pointed this discrepancy out to them!

I will check out the website you suggest.

Canada
3. Re: Speeding ticket, but it wasn't us!

Math 1985, Are you suggesting I post my problem on the flitsservice website in English? Though I've taken a Dutch for Travelers language course, this website is far beyond my understanding. Who answers the posts? Are these regular citizens, or is it a government website?

Positano, Italy
reviews: 39
4. Re: Speeding ticket, but it wasn't us!

Hi,

Most members of flitsservice are citizens like you and me who once, twice or .... received a speeding ticket. They gather here for advise or to see where the camera's are. I agree with Math that this forum is probably the best way in order to get the right answer on what to do, I am willing to post your question here if you can't manage.

The CJIB is an executing organisation of the Dutch Mininstry of Security and Justice , it collects fines and measures, they originally send the ticket to the rentalcompany and they claim that the person who rented the car committed the offent and then you are in the picture. I would advise you to contact the rental company again as they are the ones that have given your information to the CJIB, ask them how it's possible that they've send your details linked to that license plate if they can't provide a rental agreement. Problem for you is that you will receive extra fines on top of the orignal for not paying within the given timeframe. Isn't there any proof of you being in Italy?? No airline ticket, train ticket anything?

So try to contact the rental company again, and try to write down the situation as detailed as possible , maybe together with pictures of the fine ( cover your name etc ) so that we can post it at flitsservice.nl

Good luck!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
5. Re: Speeding ticket, but it wasn't us!

Puzzled as to why you wrote a letter in German.

So you rented one car from the same company and drove it to Italy then back to the Netherlands? Is that correct. You must have a rental agreement from the company for that car then.

If the government have your name against a registration then the rental company must have supplied it. You need to contact the rental company (who are?) and get them to sort this out as someone else is getting away with a ticket they want you to pay. Oh and don't write to them in German.

By the way do you not even have a bank statement showing you withdrew money from an ATM in Italy near the time the speeding ticket was issued. You don't have hotel receipts, petrol receipts food receipts, anything??

Did you stay in a hotel? they will have records of your stay. Unless you are a secret agent it is practically impossible not to leave some kind of trail.

Edited: 10:46 am, February 13, 2014
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
6. Re: Speeding ticket, but it wasn't us!

pizza receipt.?

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
7. Re: Speeding ticket, but it wasn't us!

The forum is run by regular citizens, and some of them are quite... let's say experienced with dealing with the CJIB and its inner workings. I don't think they will mind if you post in English (use Google Translate if someone replies in Dutch).

Given the fact that the license plate number was different on the two letters, I suppose the government somehow made a typo when entering the data.

Canada
8. Re: Speeding ticket, but it wasn't us!

Thank you all for your advice. Here are some answers to questions in the posts above:

Yes, we rented the car in Germany, drove to Holland, and then down to Italy, and returned the car to the same dealership in Germany.

I generally hang on to all paperwork, but in an effort to travel lighter, I left the rental agreement in Germany (threw it away) after we returned the car and all was well, as well as paper receipts I though we wouldn't need anymore. We've never needed them in all the years I faithfully carried them over the ocean. However, we did find the VISA statement that did have some transactions for the date in question, so that is helpful.

I will ask our friend in Germany to go to the rental agency and speak to them. They were not helpful at all when we called them about this per telephone.

We wrote a second letter of explanation to the Incassobureau in German because it seemed they missed the point in the first letter, which we wrote in English. We thought someone didn't understand, and since we heard that German is taught as a second language in school, so they might understand that better. I guess it was a bad idea. :(

Jumeirah, do you not think I have enough information above for the flitsservice post? And if not, how do I attach a photo of the letters to a message to you, if you're really willing to post this for me?

Positano, Italy
reviews: 39
9. Re: Speeding ticket, but it wasn't us!

Hi,

I will send you my emailadress in a PM. I think we have enough information to start with. With your permission I will post the story at flitsservice and keep an eye out for any replies. I will not post the pictures there but there are some codes on the ticket as well as the time for appeal which is useful information.

Edited: 4:36 am, February 14, 2014
10. Re: Speeding ticket, but it wasn't us!

Ask the car rental company for a copy of the ticket. I had a similar experience and found out it was the rental company that made up the ticket to get me to pay them more money. And, I wasn't even in the city in question.

Reply to: Speeding ticket, but it wasn't us!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted