We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying train tickets

Which The Netherlands hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
reviews: 42
buying train tickets

The very helpful website on buying train tickets in Europe -- seat61.com/Europe-train-tickets.htm#Amsterdam & the Netherlands -- says that train stations in the Netherlands do not accept credit cards. Is that still true?

20 replies to this topic
Saint John, Canada
reviews: 83
11. Re: buying train tickets

I had exactly the same experience. We were in Rotterdam. The Blaak train station has only ticket machines. We went to Rotterdam Centraal where they have a service centre but do not accept credit cards. I tried to use the ticket machine there but it would only accept a debit card [no cash] and it would not accept mine which I can use at an ATM. There is an extra charge to buy paper tickets.

We also had the experience of paying 3.50 euros for a local bus ride (each way). The driver apologized for the cost and said they are really trying to get everyone to use chip cards. I had not really considered buying a chip card (7.50 euros before you add any money to it) as we were not planning to use much public transportation.

Before I go back to the Netherlands I am going to have to investigate getting a debit card which will be generally accepted there [with the maestro logo on it?] and also a chip-card for transportation.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 60
12. Re: buying train tickets

I just wanted to say: I'm sorry on behalf of the Netherlands, for this very, very poor service by our railway company NS. They got stuck in the 20th century. Good luck with the work-arounds....

Haarlem, The...
reviews: 167
13. Re: buying train tickets

debit card with maestro logo would be your best bet, it works in the Netherlands but also in the rest of Europe. So it will be useful in a lot of places.

We are 1st a cash society, 2nd a debit card society and only a long way after that come credit cards.

Saint John, Canada
reviews: 83
14. Re: buying train tickets

Thank you for this information!

I do have an account with another Canadian bank which is part of the MasterCard Maestro system so I will be sure to bring that with me the next time I travel to Europe.

Bucks
reviews: 2
15. Re: buying train tickets

Maestro used to work fine...

Until it was discontinued by my bank, who replaced my Maestro card with a Visa debit...

manchester
reviews: 5
16. Re: buying train tickets

hi

how much extra do tickets cost buying from stations?

travelling from amsterdam onwards next week and unsure about places that might not have a counter and having no change to buy tickets etc

thanks

mark

Amsterdam, The...
17. Re: buying train tickets

Not sure if it was €0.50 per ticket or more, but yes, there not being a counter can be a problem for foreigners. A friend of mine feom the US who sometimes spends a few months here working in a smaller town where the train station has no counter, walks around with a kilo or more of coins...

Which stations will you need? The Dutch version of the NS website tells us which facilities each station has so I can look a few up for you.

Amsterdam Centraal and Schiphol's ticket machines accept credit cards. The rest do not.

Bucks
reviews: 2
18. Re: buying train tickets

Just buy Dutch domestic train tickets online with Mastercard or Visa at www.b-europe.com and print out your own ticket.

I do that even when I'm staying in the Netherlands with the in-laws!

Amsterdam, The...
19. Re: buying train tickets

That's a good workaround Man in Seat 61! Didn't know that website sold domestic tickets. I'll tell my friend.

manchester
reviews: 5
20. Re: buying train tickets

thanks all :D

Reply to: buying train tickets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted