We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling into Amsterdam/Lisse/Liesen from London

Which The Netherlands hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 18
Travelling into Amsterdam/Lisse/Liesen from London

Advice?

I"m a soon-to-be 1st time travelling into London and then from London to Amsterdam. I would like some advice about my options. I could:

a. fly (Easy Jet), one way before tax is about e32;

b. take the Dutch Flyer train/ferry. Night departure. Take train at 6pm, board ship at 7:45pm & arrive the next monring, 7:45 at Amsterdam; Hague; Liesen. (Not sure which port would suit me). e39 +39 + 41 (compulsory berth)/ 2 = e59.50 per person.

c. Take Eurostar -approx 4 hours e51 per person (approx).

I'm thinking either Opt B or C. Ok, here's what i plan to do in Amsterdam. I was going to stay 1-2 days in Amsterdam to sightsee and then go to Keukehof gadrens in Lisse and then Park Clingendael. If I took the Dutch Flyer I would get in early, I should book a hotel either in Lieden (?) or Amsterdam, depending on what I shoudl decide to do the first day. Being that i hear it's so chaotic during the tulip season, i shd get there 15 min BEFORE they open, which means, by the time i get off the ship and bring my stuff to the hotel, take public trans to the garden it'd be past opening and perhaps very crowded. I won't be able to go directly as I'd have luggage hauling around, right? Does it matter if I tour the city of amsterdam first and then the next morning go to the tulip garden, then do clingendael park? Then I have to leave and then head to take a train to paris. So on the 2nd night would it be strategic if i live elsewhere than backtrack back into amsterdam (vs near the airport/train station)?

The Eurostar option, would it be conveneint getting into town from where we get off the train station? If i take this option i just need to get a hotel for the nite.

Also, we need to consider the time I'll be in town. I will be in London in late April, departing for Amsterdam prob around April 26th. I read on the website that if we were not living in the Netherlands, we coudl book online our Dutch Flyer ticket while in London. Well this may be too late for me as it's "high season, spring break, easter, etc' and i want to secure my ticket. Would my only way be to call long distance to the London office to make my purchase?

Thank you and sorry if I kept rambling...

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
1. Re: Travelling into Amsterdam/Lisse/Liesen from London

this is a toughie...an hour plane ride, a 12 hour boat ride, or a 4 hour train ride..and the plane is cheapest option..i think i would go with option A

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
2. Re: Travelling into Amsterdam/Lisse/Liesen from London

Firstly the K'hof is busy, yes but get there before the organised tours and you will be ok. If you fly you can just dump your luggage in a locker at the airport and take the direct bus to the park from there. IMO no need to get there before the park opens. The place is huge so even if it is busy you will be ok and it will have been open for over a month by then. Also you will be there midweek so again it will be quieter.

Don't get hung up on Easyjet, look at fares on BA if the times suit you and their prices also include 23KG of luggage. Visit the two parks and then back to the airport to pick up your bags. For me I would get a hotel in Amsterdam and then spend that evening and the next day exploring the city. Amsterdam has an extensive public transport system so there really is no need to base yourself around the station to pick u the Thalys to Paris.

By the way I thought you could only book the rail sail Dutch Flyer seven days in advance. It would save you a hotel night though

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 38
3. Re: Travelling into Amsterdam/Lisse/Liesen from London

Since the high speed line between Amsterdam and Brussels opened I tend to travel to/from London by train these days. It takes a bit longer than flying. City centre to city centre time is around five hours as opposed to four if you fly. For me the benefits of taking the train namely comfort, less hassle with security and fewer delays more than make up for the extra time. Also, by the time you have paid to get to/from the airport plus taxes and fees you'll usually find out that flying is more expensive.

Leiden, The...
reviews: 10
4. Re: Travelling into Amsterdam/Lisse/Liesen from London

Just out of curiousity, why do you want to visit the Clingendael park? I assume it's the one in the Hague/Wassenaar, which is nice, but to my honest opinion, not that beautiful to take a detour for it.....If it's your first time to the Netherlands, I would stick to the Keukenhof and then Amsterdam, there is a lot to see and do in A'dam!

If going from the Keukenhof to Clingendael, do remember that it might involve quite some changes to do the trip with public transport. If you want to go there for the Japanese Garden, which is nice but not very large, it is only open this year from april 30 to june 12, from 9am-8pm.

5. Re: Travelling into Amsterdam/Lisse/Liesen from London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, October 11, 2012