We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go around Zurich

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide
reviews: 9
Where to go around Zurich

Hi,

We are going to Davos in December for a conference. We have already been to Zurich, Lucerne and Davos before. We arrive into Zurich 2 days before the conference starts. I would like some advice as to where we can go to for the 2 days - stay in Zurich, stay extra in Davos (we have been to Davos for 6 days before and done skiing and will be doing the same again this time), or go to another town for 2 nights and then to Davos (we will be in Davos for 5 nights and ski as well). If other town then can you please suggest to me where we can go? We have 2 kids - 6 & 10 yr old. Since its winter and cold its a bit hard for me to work the best place to go to.

Thanks

Shanno

9 replies to this topic
Adelaide
1. Re: Where to go around Zurich

Bumping this up...please advise

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 8
2. Re: Where to go around Zurich

You didn't allow much time for anyone to answer! It was, it appears, late evening and overnight in Switzerland when you posted. Have a bit of patience and folks with good information will be looking at the forum.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 102
3. Re: Where to go around Zurich

Since you have already been to Lucerne area, suggest you visit the Bernese Oberland area for the two nights that you have. You could probably stay at either Murren, Wengen or Lauterbrunnen. You could do skiing at spots near these places. However, in December quite a few establishments are closed. But still, you can well spend your two days in this area.

Adelaide
4. Re: Where to go around Zurich

Thank you for your reply Rajiv. We have been to Wengen and Jungfrau on a previous trip. We just want to do sightseeing for these 2 days and no skiing as we will be skiing the following week in Davos anyway. Any other suggestions?

Many Thanks

Zurich, Switzerland
5. Re: Where to go around Zurich

If you plan to stay in Zurich then you can visit the Zoo if you have not done so in your previous visits. There is a nice climate controlled rainforest within the Zoo. If waterparks are of interest, then I can suggest half a day in Alpamare in Pfaffikon. It is a nice place to spend time with children in Winter. Alternatively, you could go to Basel or Bern to check out the Christmas markets.

@Rajiv_Phantom - Are there really quite a few establishments closed in December? I thought it is actually the time when the ski season begins to slowly gather pace and everything should be open.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 102
6. Re: Where to go around Zurich

Hi kunjum0n !

As you have rightly said, the ski season begins to slowly gather pace and post mid-December, the things start heating up. But, open air museums, some mountain tops remain closed. Yes, Christmas markets start around this time, mid-December.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
7. Re: Where to go around Zurich

Zermatt is pretty much up and running for the winter season by late November as I think are most of the high resorts. It's possible if snow is late or the calendar falls just right that not all pistes will be open in late November.

Adelaide
8. Re: Where to go around Zurich

Thanks for your replies. Are christmas markets open in Zurich at all? We have been to Zurich in Summer but wondering whether it is any different in Dec (early Dec)? Are there ice skating rinks, open markets, kids activites, etc?

Thanks

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
9. Re: Where to go around Zurich

If you go to the Zurich website and choose the tourism link, you will find that you can ask for events for a particular calendar time

www.zuerich.com/en

They list Christmas markets etc. as well as conferences concernts et al.

I believe there is an outdoor skating rink but I'm not too sure where it is located.

Reply to: Where to go around Zurich
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted