We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich HB to airport

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia, USA
Zurich HB to airport

2 adults and 2 teens arriving at Zurich HB around 8:30PM on a Saturday. We need to leave from the airport early on Monday. What would you recommend for a place to stay. I understand the airport is not that far from Zurich HB. Not sure if it's possible that there may be a hotel with shuttle to both places??

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
1. Re: Zurich HB to airport

There are trains from Zurich Hb to the airport - takes about 10 minutes so you could just go on to a hotel at the airport on Saturday night and then go into Zurich the next day by train. Some of the hotels have shuttles back and forth to the airport but I haven't seen any with shuttles to Hb. The hotels near to the airport all seem to have shuttles. You could use the shuttle to get to the airport to catch the train to go into town on Sunday. You can check on the trains to the airport on sbb.ch/en just by putting in leaving "Zurich Hb" and "Zurich Airport" for arriving. A quick check shows 4 trains on Saturday night between 8:47P and 9:17P so it shouldn't be difficult. It's easier to get to the airport for an early flight if you are staying out there - several hotels appear to be within a mile or so.

Hope this helps and have a wonderful trip!

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
reviews: 26
2. Re: Zurich HB to airport

Instead of staying in a hotel close to the airport but in a dull area with nothing else than just the hotel and maybe some industry, I would rather stay in town, in a hotel close to HB! As Kileysmom has said it only takes about 10min. by train to the airport - probably about the same time as a shuttle from your hotel at the airport would take. Trains operate from 5 am - I'm sure you don't have to leave earlier than this on Monday morning, do you?

Hotels very close to the train station:

*** Hotel Walhalla

**** Hotel Schweizerhof

**** Hotel Central Plaza

You will find all necessary informations and online booking on www.zuerich.com, the official site of Zurich tourist office.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
3. Re: Zurich HB to airport

Hi, oller, I agree it is nicer in the center of town but if they have a flight at 6:30 as I have been offered (and refused!), they will have to be at the airport by about 4:30 for check-in - YUK as my grandson says! That's why I recommended they go on out on the Saturday night.

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
reviews: 26
4. Re: Zurich HB to airport

Good to hear we have the same point of view, kileysmom! I wonder though why you should be at the airport 2 hours before your flight leaves. I must admit that it's a while ago that I flew the last time to the US (and I know that they have additional security checks), but normally - even for flights to Asia and Africa - check-in 1 hour ahead of the flight is sufficient. I also assumed that they have coordinated the departing times of trains and flights so that the first train departing from Zurich will be in time at the airport for check-in for the first flight. But I could be wrong...

Europe
reviews: 3
5. Re: Zurich HB to airport

For transatlantic flights it's better to have enough time before departure, so I'd say just 1 hour could be too short :

- between 7am and 8.30 am there's a peak for (business) flights to most european cities, which means that the lines at the check-in counter might be quite long...and it's a peak period due to summer holidays...

- transatlantic flights usually depart from converse E (dock E): to get to dock E, passengers have, after check-in and customs, to take an underground train (the "skytrain" at Zurich airport). It can last up to 20 minutes (!) untill they reach their gate.

Personnally I'd suggest to be at the airport at least 90 minutes before departure. Dock A, where you'd have to go through, is very comfortable.

Check-in a day in advance: some airlines offer the possibility - for passengers with very early flights - to check-in their luggage the evening before, usually from 7-9pm. I'd suggest that you check this possibility upon arrival on saturday. So on monday morning you could skip the check-in and pass directly to the customs.

Hotels close to the airport: they all have frequent and free shuttles from/to the airport.

Enjoy your stay in Zurich!

Linnen

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
6. Re: Zurich HB to airport

Hi, I don't think the US airlines or flights to the US will permit early check-in of luggage unless it is on the same day - at least that is the rule here. It's the same security stuff that says you can't do rail/fly luggage for flights to the US either. Also, the US airlines will tell you that they will give away your seat if you aren't there 2 hours ahead and I don't like to risk not having recourse if they bump me off a full flight! At least if they do it and you have obeyed all of their rules, they will have to get you on a flight, give you compensation, etc. Zurich Airport is a wonderful airport and really easy to negotiate but it does take awhile to get to the gates used for US flights from the airline desks particularly the first time. Also, there is great shopping for last minute things so I like extra time to stop along the way!

Virginia, USA
7. Re: Zurich HB to airport

THANKS to all who replied and posted. This is wonderful information.

8. Re: Zurich HB to airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, August 14, 2009