We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where do I put a 26" suitcase on a Swiss train

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 7
where do I put a 26" suitcase on a Swiss train

If my 26" suitcase won't fit overhead, will there be space next to me in my seat to put it? I'm afraid to store it in the luggage compartment where I can't see it.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 8
1. Re: where do I put a 26" suitcase on a Swiss train

Hi, take a lock so you can lock it to the railing in the luggage area! They sell really neat ones that are very light and work very well here at this link and probably other places

www.magellans.com/retractasafe-cable-lock

You can see the area where the bags are usually because it is just at the end of the carriage. Lock the case so it can't be opened and then lock the case to a part of the area where it is placed. Then go and stand near your case when the train stops at a station if you are still worried. The problem isn't having a large case stolen while the train is moving but having it taken at a station where the thief hops off with it and disappears.

There is sometimes room between the back of the seats on some carriages as well. You can put it anywhere you like as long as you don't block seats that others may need to use or block the aisle.

Hope this helps.

Lincoln, United...
reviews: 10
2. Re: where do I put a 26" suitcase on a Swiss train

Do cases get stolen a lot on the trains?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 144
3. Re: where do I put a 26" suitcase on a Swiss train

Not on the smaller lines but yes at big cities like Geneva there's big city crowds, including the bad apples. Sorry...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 8
4. Re: where do I put a 26" suitcase on a Swiss train

First, cases themselves (large ones) don't seem to be stolen but pickpockets are definitely present so don't be careless with your documents or money. There are also reports now of briefcases and small items being taken from the overhead rack while the owner is distracted in their seat below. In Italy there are tales of large suitcases being stolen - primarily at stations where someone either hops on and take s case or just gets off the train with a case.

I also want to point out that if you have just one case and lock it to a rail in the luggage area, do so in a manner that keeps your case to the side so others can fit in their luggage.

5. Re: where do I put a 26" suitcase on a Swiss train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 02, 2014