We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich layover

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nunez
reviews: 32
Zurich layover

We will be laid over in Zurich June 20 @ 6:00 pm to June 21 11:45 am. Does anyone have a suggestion of a hotel near the airport or elsewhere? Will we need a rental car to get around? And a suggestion of what we may be able to see or do that evening? Great restaurant?

Thanks in advance,

Redheifer

Winterthur
reviews: 34
1. Re: Zurich layover

You can easily travel to the city center of Zurich and stay there for the night. Its only a 10min train ride from the airport to the main station. Taking the train is faster, more comfortable (no need to find one of the limited parking spaces) and also cheaper than renting a car to just go to the city centre.

For hotels and restaurants, you might want to check the TripAdvisor-rankings.

Nunez
2. Re: Zurich layover

Thank you so much for the information. Do you know the costs of the train roundtrip? I want to make sure I have enough euros left since this will be the end of our trip.

Thanks again!

Winterthur
reviews: 34
3. Re: Zurich layover

You can buy a ticket, valid fo 24 hours, which also includes the public transport in Zurich, like tram or buses. It cost around CHF 13.00 (around 10 euros). If you buy your ticket at the counter, you might be able to pay in euros. In the city itself you probably need to change euros to swiss francs

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
reviews: 3
4. Re: Zurich layover

You wont need to make sure that you have euros left since euro is not the currency used in Switzerland...

Nunez
5. Re: Zurich layover

Can anyone tell me which train to take from the ZRH airport to get to Hotel Limmatblick, Limmatquai 136, 1. City, Zurich?

BARCELONA.SPAIN
reviews: 21
6. Re: Zurich layover

Any train going to Zurich Main Station (Zurich Hauptbanhof)

Your hotel is quite close to the station. Have a look at the map:

http://maps.google.es/maps?hl=es&tab=wl

Sorry, seems the link doesn´t work as expected. Just put the address in the map and it will show you where is the hotel and the main station

Edited: 1:36 am, June 10, 2013
Nunez
7. Re: Zurich layover

Thank you so much for the information. :-)

Hednesford
reviews: 28
8. Re: Zurich layover

We have just come back from our holiday and spent a day in Zurich. We had a great time but there is some work being carried out on the tram lines in the middle of Zurich. It did not spoil our visit but it did not look as attractive as it could. What I would say is that everything was very expensive. We had planned for this so it did not spoil our day. But if you are not careful it can all add up. It is easy to walk around the centre and enjoy this lovely city.

Have fun

Carol

Zurich, Switzerland
reviews: 344
9. Re: Zurich layover

Hi Carol, not sure what you are into, and what you wanted to see, but since you arrive around 6pm, you should be at the hotel by 7pm-ish, if you get off the plane straight away and land in the terminal closer to the building that leads you to the underground train station.

Re tickets, if you intend to go lots of places, then buy a day ticket, which on its own is 8.60 franks (that allows you to travel on all public transport, plus you will have to get extension for the airport which is extra). However, if you are mobile and given you only have time for dinner and breakfast essentially - then if I were you, I would only buy the ticket from and to airport and thats it. Cheaper, plus, if you staying on Limmatqui, you will walk everywhere, because anything you would want to see in Zurich in such short space of time would be on your doorstep and short walking distance.

if the weather is decent, walk along Limmat river where you are staying towards Bellevue plaza, just ask for Opera House, and head in that direction, enjoy a drink at Goethe bar to the left of the Opera House as you are looking at it, there is splendid paved area there now, have a spritzer. Otherwise, grab a bratwurst in a little laneway in Bellevue, which is served to you hot with bread roll and little tub of mustard and head for the lake which is to the right of the Opera House as you face it. Alternatively, walk along the Limmatquai where you are, towards the lake, and along the lake, it's beautiful, and there is a little place further down the lake, about 10min walk called Kiosk, they also grill sausages as well as serve other food and you can sit outside and face the lake with beautiful view, and on clear day, snow-capped Swiss Alps.

Since sun sets so late, and it's light till very late, I would strongly recommend you walk around in the Old Town,, and go to Lindenhof, on whichever is the day with clearer view and better weather, it's old Roman tower suspended above the river, full of linden trees, and from the top you have an amazing view of the whole city and the river and the lake. It's not a long walk, may be 50m up little steps and it's gorgeous view, and costs nothing. zuerich.com/en/…Lindenhof.html (keeping in mind that you will probably be shocked at Zurich prices).

If you like sweets, do drop into the best chocolatier, the best one in Switzerland in my view, Spruengli, there is a cafe in Paraderplatz, again walking distance from where you are, you can sit outside have a coffee and have tiny tiny little tarts or your own selection of chocolates from their wonderful shop.

10. Re: Zurich layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 13, 2014