We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Swiss Pass and Seat Reservations

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 1
Buying Swiss Pass and Seat Reservations

Hi,

I live in Singapore and will be travelling to Switzerland in June 2013 together with my wife and 2 daughters (below 26). I intend to buy the Swiss Pass and make seat reservations on the Glacier Express and Golden Pass.

What would be the best place to get them, in terms of price , convenience, etc? After some research, I noted that there are several options:

1) via rail.com.sg

2) via online sites in europe, switzerland or USA, or

3) In Switzerland (Zurich airport) upon arrival.

Similarly, what about the above-mentioned seat reservations?

I look forward to your response. Thank you.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
1. Re: Buying Swiss Pass and Seat Reservations

Seat reservations can be made easily on the GEX and Goldenpass sites and are independent of having a ticket to travel. I would go ahead and get these on line as soon as the date you wish to travel is available.

www.glacierexpress.ch

www.goldenpass.ch

Then just buy your Swiss passes at the airport station when you arrive here.

I don't understand the reference to your children being under 26? Children under 6 travel free. 6-15 you request a Family card when you buy your Swiss pass (FC is free) and that covers them as long as you are travelling with them. As far as I am aware people 16-26 need to have their own pass - the Swiss Youth Pass which is a little cheaper than the Adult swiss pass.

Los Angeles
reviews: 63
2. Re: Buying Swiss Pass and Seat Reservations

In my research and experience with trains, it's always best to buy your tickets directly from the train company that you will be traveling with. Any other website other than the official one is just a reseller and will charge you whatever they can get out of you. I am in the process of buying a family pass from www.sbb.ch this week. I wouldn't even consider looking at any other website for them. Have fun!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
3. Re: Buying Swiss Pass and Seat Reservations

pookiemarie - I do hope you are not suggesting that the Glacier Express and Goldenpass are re-sellers?? Because they are not. They are private train companies, running the trains they deal with. And if you want a seat rservation on either and are not here in Switzerland then you get the reservation via their website, not the SBB site.

KY
reviews: 3
4. Re: Buying Swiss Pass and Seat Reservations

My husband and I have Swiss Passes and today I wanted to reserve seats for October 13 on both the Glacier Express from Birgg to Chur and October 14 on the Bernina Express from Chur all the way to Lugano. I went to the Glacier Express web site and there is no option to just purchase a seat reservation. They will sell you a new ticket, but no mention of those who are holding a pass already. I am so frustrated. A call to Raileurope yields a service charge if you reserve their them of $18, $15 to ship the seat reservations to me, and they wanted to charge $56 for one seat reservation on the Glacier Express. There has to be some way to find the seat reservations without going through Raileurope.

Help?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
5. Re: Buying Swiss Pass and Seat Reservations

You can get a seat reservation on the GEX site without having a ticket. Go onto the site - www.glacierexpress.ch - and look on the top tool bar /menu list "Timetable and Tickets". Click there. Then look to your left and click reservations. You will then read that you can make the reservation on line. Click the link. Create a login and pay for your seat reservation. Should be no problem for mid October.

KY
reviews: 3
6. Re: Buying Swiss Pass and Seat Reservations

Thank you Hambagahle. When I had done that before, it gave a price on the total page of what I though was 2 first class tickets, but acutally was the total of 2 reservations and 2 meals. A little confusing as the total amount was on the same line with the words: 1st class ticket. Our pass is a 2nd class Swiss Pass, so I hope we are not holding reserved seats on a 1st class train car.

Now my problem is I tried also to hold reserved seats on the Benina Express and after I clicked purchase, I got an error message. Did it again and same thing. Then a few minutes later I got 2 email messages saying my card has an international transaction. I have emailed the rail company but still do not know if I have seats.

I had called Rail Europe yesterday morning and they were willing to reserve seats for us but the price was literally double compared to getting then from the rail company. Plus $18 service fee + $15 to mail tickets! Wow. Have you heard of this before?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
7. Re: Buying Swiss Pass and Seat Reservations

Rail europe is a travel agency and this is how they make money...

For the Bernina - I suggest you call them tomorrow, tell them what happened and ask them to sort it out. Same for GEX - call and make sure your seats are second class. they will fix it I am sure. And in both cases they speak English well.

8. Re: Buying Swiss Pass and Seat Reservations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 05, 2014