We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating near old town

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alpharetta, Georgia
reviews: 26
Eating near old town

I'm spending 4 nights in April in old town area (hotel Adler). And am looking for some cheap places to eat a decent meal (cheap by Swiss standards that is for example less than 35 francs). For lunch and or dinner. Not looking for 5 course meals. Just something filling.

Any suggestions? I found a few places but wanted to ask here.

Zurich, Switzerland
reviews: 21
11. Re: Eating near old town

A lot of restaurants have for lunch special meals (Mittagsmenü or Tagesmenü) which cost about CHF 18 - 25. (also swiss people don't like to pay every lunchtime CHF 40 for eating)

Another tip for good and not so expensive lunch are the restaurants at the departement stores: In the city center are these: Manor; Migros Löwenstrasse; Coop St. Annahof at the Bahnhofstrasse. The restaurants are at the toplevel of the stores. They have a god standart and some meals are cooked when you order it.

Even at the Restaurant at the Adler Hotel have a "Tagesmenü" (meal of the day) which cost CHF 17. Most of the meals this week are typical swiss food - even not the most famous.

The restaurant waid has a great view and also a "Tagesmenü". http://www.diewaid.ch/todaysmenu.html. The place could be a good one for your special dinner.

Another typical swiss restaurant is "Der weisse Wind". www.weisserwind.ch/engl/e_speisundtrank.html

Enjoy your meal and trip

Cheshire
reviews: 37
12. Re: Eating near old town

I can also add the Zeughauskeller to the recommendations above, a tourist spot because of its great interior but a meat lovers paradise and some great beers. The slow cooked pork in beer gravy is amazing!

Zurich, Switzerland
13. Re: Eating near old town

Just a tip do save you money. Buy your drinks for the night and between the meals in advance in either Migros or Coop, they are a lot cheaper than the Kiosks. If you need to buy drinks at the kiosk, buy the no-name brand OK, it's a lot cheaper.

Also, you might try other European food other than Swiss. You can get good Italian style pizzas in Switzerland (not the same as US pizzas). For lunch you may also try European fast-food like Döner Kebab (Turkish) or Currywurst (German). They are both not a highlight, but it's something different from the American burgers and hot-dogs. You will find take-ways that sell both all around you hotel.

BTW good choice with your hotel, thats the location where young people should stay when they visit Zürich.

Edited: 2:45 pm, January 11, 2013
Alpharetta, Georgia
reviews: 26
14. Re: Eating near old town

Thanks for the extra info and I'm glad I choose a good hotel. I plan on drinking a little in the evenings but also doing a lot of strolling around to enjoy the city. So Hotel Adler I think can be quiet enough for a good nights sleep but close to night fun so I can enjoy either I think.

Zurich, Switzerland
15. Re: Eating near old town

" I'm glad I choose a good hotel"

Well, I don't know if the Hotel itself is good. ;-)

But the location couldn't be more central.

I read on the homepage that they have soundproof windows, so you should sleep fine.

Edited: 4:22 pm, January 11, 2013
16. Re: Eating near old town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 13, 2014