We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Based in Zurich for 2 weeks - where to go?

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 3
Based in Zurich for 2 weeks - where to go?

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are in our late 20s and will be staying with his parents outside of Zurich for 2 weeks over the holidays in Dec./Jan. We are looking to visit another city for a couple of days, as long as it is within about 3-4 hours from Zurich. So far, we are considering Geneva, Turin, Milan or Munich. We'd like somewhere with great sights and that won't break the bank for accommodation/dining. Any opinions or other suggestions? We will probably be visiting Lucerne with our family so I've left Lurcerne out of the above list.

Thanks for your help!

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
reviews: 140
1. Re: Based in Zurich for 2 weeks - where to go?

When you say 3-4 hours, do you mean train, car or any travel method?

Some thoughts:

- Turin and Munich are >4 hours realistically

- Milan and Geneva are not my personal favourite places. More business cities. And neither are particularly good value for accomodation/dining

- anywhere in Switzerland is going to be expensive compared to Germany or France when you factor in eating and staying. For similar standards, I would say that Switzerland is currently 2x the price of Munich

If you are considering 2 days and a 4 hours journey, from Zurich that could take you to any number of places if you can find a cheap flight (Air Berlin, Easyjet etc). Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris, London... All could be done by low cost airline in the time it would take to drive to Munich. What you save by getting out of Switzerland will cover the flight cost! Flight costs will be very date specific at this time of year - peaking from day to day depending on Christmas/New Year travel. Also, from Basel or Zurich, Paris is accessible by train in 4 (ish) hours.

Really depends whether you have a burning desire to see a particular European city. Am sure you will get lots of advice. But if you are fixed on driving/train from Zurich for a shorter journey ime, I would probably tend to Milan or Strasbourg.

Zurich, Switzerland
reviews: 21
2. Re: Based in Zurich for 2 weeks - where to go?

All of the mentioned cities are accessible within 3 - 4 hours. I think for Turin you should consider a bit more (could be up to 5 hours).

If you are looking for an accommodation in Munich, Milan or Turin ask the question in the forum of Germany (Munich) or Italy (Milan, Turin). For Geneva you are o.k. in the Switzerland Forum.

I like Milan and Munich. Very nice cities with a lot of history. Geneva as well, but I haven't been there for ages.

In Switzerland the cities are much smaller than Milan / Munich but Bern for example is also very nice.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 3
3. Re: Based in Zurich for 2 weeks - where to go?

Thank you both for your help! Great point about flying in the same amount of time as driving, I think we'll look into a few other cities we're interested in visiting and see if there are any good deals for flights.

Cheers!

4. Re: Based in Zurich for 2 weeks - where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, November 22, 2013