We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road conditions in December

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 108
road conditions in December

We are looking at flying in to Zurich and driving down to Como/Milan and over to Venice then on to Munich. Does anyone have any advice as to road conditons for this route in December? It would be myself with my two college aged kids - me being the primary driver, and never have driven in Europe before. Thanks for any input!

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
reviews: 164
1. Re: road conditions in December

Hi traveltrio03

I would warmly recommend you take the train! In december roads can be covered by snow or ice even on the motorway to and from the San Gottardo tunnel.

A car would not help in the cities.

Have a safe rail trip, it's better!

pore

munich
reviews: 38
2. Re: road conditions in December

Same question - different forum.

tripadvisor.co.uk/…43402999

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
3. Re: road conditions in December

the major problem with driving in northern Italy in December is not snow (usually!) but FOG. The entire Po Plain from Torino to Venice gets covered in fog and it makes driving extremely dangerous. Think close to zero visibility.

Then another problem if you are planning to rent a car is the drop charges. Renting in one country and dropping in another costs a lot (I was quoted €800 as a drop charge to rent in Venice and drop in Switzerland...) So take the train. Much easier - and what would you do with a car while you are in Venice anyway?? Parking there at the Tronchetto is not cheap!

Houston, Texas
reviews: 108
4. Re: road conditions in December

The train it is! I am thinking we will fly in to Zurich either on Dec. 22-23 or Dec. 26, stay the night in Zurich, and spend one more night somewhere in Switzerland before heading down to Lake Como for a night, then over to Venice, and from there up to Munich. Any suggestions on places to stay in Zurich?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
5. Re: road conditions in December

There is a nice hotel right in the old town called the Adler. Gets good reviews on TA. I usually stay at the Ascot, near the Enge bahnhof, which I am very happy with but it is a bit less central than the Adler. However I suggest you go onto the Zürich tourist office site and use their search engine which will filter your choices by date/availability/price/star rating etc

6. Re: road conditions in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 03, 2013