We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Euro trip

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sliema, Malta
Level Contributor
43 posts
Euro trip

Hi, I was thinking of flying to zurich in May 2013 and driving to the following places (Obviously with stops in between and not in one day). First off driving to Lindau (austria) and taking the german Alpine road to Salzburg. then driving down to Grossglockner passing through Berchestergarden National Park and Heilgenblut . Then from Grossglockner going down to the Dolomites in Italy (probably Bulla as my base and explore the surrounding area like Puez-geisler and lago di misurina) After there I was thinking of driving East to Bled/ Ljubljana in Slovenia, and when done from there drive up to Salzburg for my flight back. How long do you think I will need to do this? I enjoy driving and exploring too, but just want to get a taste of of each country. Do you think this is too ambitious? I will also be travelling with my girlfriend. Our preious holiday was in Scotland and we travelled 4000km in 1 week with no problem at all.

Many thanks :)

Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
24,607 posts
145 reviews
1. Re: Euro trip

Since all you plan to do is to arrive in Zürich and then drive out of the country this Forum is not the place to post the question. Better post it as separate questions on the relevant country forums.

One thing I can tell you however - if you rent a car in Switzerland and return it to Austria you will have extremely high drop charges. maybe as much as 1000dollars.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
559 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: Euro trip

My only thought would be the heavy drop off charges, as mentioned above. I would want to take the car back to Zurich!

Level Contributor
8,305 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: Euro trip

...... and many hire car companies have restrictions on taking vehicles into Slovenia and Italy.

Generally rentals to Slovenia require extra insurance. Also for Slovenia and Italy some rental companies do not permit higher end cars such as Mercs, BMWs, Audis, 4x4, Jags to be driven there full stop.

Obvious issues are the Austrian Vignette required for Austrian Autobahns

Depending on when exactly in May but no guarantee that high alpine passes will be open or completely free of snow

e.g. The Timmelsjoch/Passo Rombo which is a great drive doesn't normall open until the end of May

4. Re: Euro trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, August 21, 2013