We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation from Zurich to Berlin - air vs train

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
transportation from Zurich to Berlin - air vs train

I've been researching the best way to get from Zurich to Berlin on 17.Oct. Am I reading the websites correctly that it is much less expensive to fly (Air Berlin) than to take a train?

Thank you

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
reviews: 2
1. Re: transportation from Zurich to Berlin - air vs train

It can be so or not- as long as you don't tell us what you compareto what, exactly, it is difficult to help.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2. Re: transportation from Zurich to Berlin - air vs train

I used the Kayak website for air and it showed an Air Berlin flight for the afternoon of Oct 17 at a price of $85. I used the RailEurope website and it would not go out as far as Oct 17 so I used Sept 17 and it showed fares for DB Bahn starting at $264. I was shocked at the difference in price.

I am not familiar with booking train travel in Europe so I don't know what other options are available for daytime travel .

Edited: 2:02 am, August 07, 2012
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 113
3. Re: transportation from Zurich to Berlin - air vs train

This looks accurate to me. Often flying on a low cost airline is much less than taking a train. AND if you factor in sightseeing time saved by not being on a train for 8 hrs it is even better! You will need to add the cost of getting to and from the airports but that isn't much...

I think that DB has night trains to Berlin. Worth checking as well since these take the place of a night in a hotel that you would otherwise pay for.

There is nothing else (other than driving) that you can consider besides air and train. We do not have long distance buses...

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
reviews: 2
4. Re: transportation from Zurich to Berlin - air vs train

Do not, ever, look at Raileurope for schedules or prices. The trains in Germany are run by DB, which you should consult (www.bahn.de). There are discount offers if you book well ahead, similar to low cost airlines, but they are not passed on to resellers likeRaileurope.

Bern, Switzerland
reviews: 71
5. Re: transportation from Zurich to Berlin - air vs train

Hi DK-USA

Just checked the "bahn.de" site of German Railways: One way fares starts at 59 € (bookings for the 17. October are already possible).

As H. stated, taking the sleeper train will save you the cost of a hotel (you won't miss any views...)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
6. Re: transportation from Zurich to Berlin - air vs train

Thank you for the good information.. Like I said, I have never done this before.

The night train would not be helpful to me because I wish to arrive in Berlin by night time on Oct 17.

I will check the bahn.de website for better info on fares.

Thank you.

7. Re: transportation from Zurich to Berlin - air vs train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, August 21, 2013