We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich to Vienna , please help plan 2.5 days

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Zurich to Vienna , please help plan 2.5 days

Hi,

I will be reaching Zurich on a Friday early morning by plane. I need to be in Vienna by Sunday night. What are my options?

My initial plan was to explore Zurich and Lucerne Friday and Saturday. Then taking the 8 hour train by Railjet from Zurich to Vienna (that I believe goes through Innsbruck and supposedly very scenic) on Sunday (leaving around 10 am, reaching Vienna around 6 pm).

But I just read up on Glacier Express. Is there any way I can accommodate it?

Are 8 hours going to be tough on the train? Should we stop and spend the night in Innsbruck?

Basically, how would you plan for these 2.5 days. I have always wanted to see the Alps (from a train - comfortably).

Thanks in advance,

-S

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
1. Re: Zurich to Vienna , please help plan 2.5 days

Hi and welcome to TA! First, without knowing what you would enjoy seeing and doing, it is impossible to give you advice about how to spend your time. What I would enjoy might be a complete waste of time for you.

Your plan to spend some time in Zurich and Lucerne is fine and the train to Vienna is also fine. You could also consider the night train from Lucerne to Zurich and then to Vienna but you don't get to see any scenery at night!

You might consider going from Zurich to Zermatt late on the first day and then take the Glacier Express to Chur (about 7 hours but gorgeous Alps all the way). The next day you can take the train to Sargans where you connect with the jet train to Vienna. It's two long days on trains but might be worth it? I've certainly been known to do such things!

Hope this helps

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 113
2. Re: Zurich to Vienna , please help plan 2.5 days

I love the GE and take it a lot but I think with only a night here you would be better off staying in Luzern as per your original idea. That way you would see a pretty city, nice lake and not just the inside of trains...

And yes! The ride from Zürich to Innsbruck through the Arlberg is extremely lovely.

3. Re: Zurich to Vienna , please help plan 2.5 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 21, 2013