We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ready to eat meals

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai
reviews: 23
Ready to eat meals

We will be travelling to Zurich airport from Dubai.

We are planning to bring ready to eat meals and a hot plate with us.

I would like to know if there will be any problem in the airport if we bring these food packets with us.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
1. Re: Ready to eat meals

Most likely there will. You are not allowed to import any meat that does not come from an EU country and other items are also limited and inspected.

We have rather good food here and even ready to eat meals at the Coop and Migros supermarkets.

Another factor is that if you are staying in a hotel the manager will not be happy at all if you use a hot plate and will either tell you to stop, or ask you to leave. The smell of food cooking is bound to distrub other guests and it is a fire hazard as well.

I strongly suggest you not even consider this option further! If of course, you are staying in self-catering accomodation that is another issue. But all the food (except perhaps some dried food, and not dried meat, should be bought here).

Dubai
2. Re: Ready to eat meals

We were actually planning to bring Vegetarian ready to eat meals, but i guess the smell of the food can disturb other guests.

We will surely reconsider our idea.

Thanks a lot for the information

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
3. Re: Ready to eat meals

Good idea

You can eat vegetarian food here, no problem. Most restaurants nowadays have at least one veg dish on the menu and pizzerias offer lots of salads and pasta without meat. And needless to say, cheese fondue is one of our "national dishes" although I have read that a very very strict vegetarian will not eat cheese because of the rennet used to curdle the milk. You would certainly know best in this regard.

Sharjah, United...
reviews: 19
4. Re: Ready to eat meals

Hi KSK,

Wehn we travelled last year to Switzlerand, we took some home cooked Veg items (like Rotis, Parathas, Puffed Rice with Peanuts) with pickle jars and there was no problem. We took few readymeals (3-4 packets) as well like MTR / Ashoka without any problems. We did not carry any hot plate, we just used the Room Kettle for warming these. There was no problem as such in the Hotels we stayed. In fact, one of the hotels Metropole in Interlaken, also allowed us to use their Oven for warming.

I dont think there will any problem with Veg Items, as long as you are not taking in bulk. We just took few to serve as change of taste for our 15 day trip. We enjoyed Swiss food a lot, specially Rosti, Fondue, Sandwiches, Breads, Pizzas and once in 3 days had our Indian meal as a change. I am sure you wil enjoy Swiss Food as well (definitely it is a little expensive compared to readymeals, but worth it!).

Enjoy!

Edited: 10:46 am, August 05, 2012
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 679
5. Re: Ready to eat meals

Migros Take Away was GREAT! I was really amazed with the quality as it was almost always freshly made and piping hot.

We traveled around while we were in Switzerland and at the train station in Zurich we first discovered it. The food was great quality and fresh. Several times we got things, they just came freshly made out of the oven. Or the employees were kind enough to tell us, "we're making a fresh batch if you want to wait 5 minutes".

They have several locations around the city as well as other cities and they were wonderful. Also, not expensive either.

Restaurants we found in Zurich were quite expensive. Even if you aren't on a budget we found it great for snacks while walking around. Try the Spinach filled pastries. They were really great.

Pune, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
6. Re: Ready to eat meals

Hi devesh84,

I was not aware of this - did you carry the food items in your hand-luggage or checked-in luggage. Any checks at both airports?

arvind

Sharjah, United...
reviews: 19
7. Re: Ready to eat meals

Hi Arvind, I carried it in checked-in luggage. There was no check on any airport to my knowledge (meaning I was not asked to open my luggage).

In fact, I have also carried these to Italy earlier in 2010, there was no issue as well.

Dubai
8. Re: Ready to eat meals

Thanks a lot Devesh for the information. It's a relief for us.

Sharjah
reviews: 1
9. Re: Ready to eat meals

Hi Devesh, Im planning to go switzerland in next few months, after paris my first stop will be in Zurich-lucern-interlaken-zermatt or lugano...what was your itinerary ?? can you please give some suggestions..i plan to take train either from lugano or zermatt to venice..and ideally would fly back to sharjah from venice...

thanks inadvance....

10. Re: Ready to eat meals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 22, 2013