We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 night zurich hotel suggestion with kids

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 6
1 night zurich hotel suggestion with kids

We are travelling from lauterbrunnen to zurich for 1 night to make an international morning flight at 10AM in mid August. We have to be at airport by 8AM and have decided that rather than rush with kids (ages 7 and 10years) it is easier to stay in zurich for last night. I have seen hotels near the airport but there doesn't seem to be much else around..We have never been to zurich before so any hotel or accomodation suggestions where we can enjoy family friendly zurich sights/highlights within convenience to airport would be appreciated.

thanks

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 1
1. Re: 1 night zurich hotel suggestion with kids

We were staying at St Josef Hotel in May.

Room was tidy with good breakfast and it is a 10 min walk to the train station and central area.

Also, they provide a shuttle service from hotel to airport with reasonable price

Zurich, Switzerland
2. Re: 1 night zurich hotel suggestion with kids

You can easily stay anywhere in Zurich. In fact it is much nicer than around the airport. I would never live there, so why should you spend your night there (even a luxury hotel does not change the environment). And you will only have to calculate half an hour more to get up earlier therefor.

Actually, the train takes only 12 minutes from "Zürich HB" (Zurich main station; HB: Hauptbahnhof) to the airport, just two stories below the airport itself. Or 16 minutes from "Zürich Stadelhofen" by direct train, or 21 minutes with one change in Zürich HB.

And even, if you take a hotel not so close to the main station, tram or bus will bring you there in at most 45 minutes. So, i.e. you would have to leave your hotel at 07:15 earliest.

Just to give you an example: You stay at hotel Seefeld (my area, just next to the lake), you have to board the tram at the stop "Zürich, Kreuzstrasse". If you enter this to http://www.rail.ch with arrival at "Zürich, Airport" and with arrival time 08:00, then it tells you:

30 minutes connection:

-------------------------------

Journey: Zürich, Kreuzstrasse to Zürich Flughafen

Date: 25.07.12

-

dep 07:16 Zürich, Kreuzstrasse (Tram 4, Direction: Zürich Altstetten, Bahnhof N)

arr 07:27 Zürich, Bahnhofquai/HB

dep Zürich, Bahnhofquai/HB (walk)

arr Zürich HB

dep 07:37 Zürich HB - platform 9 (IR 2109)

arr 07:46 Zürich Flughafen - platform 1

-

Dur. 0:30, Changes 1

Schedule:

fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en…

24 minutes connection:

------------------------------

to Zürich Flughafen

Date: 25.07.12

-

dep 07:34 Zürich, Kreuzstrasse (Tram 2, Direction: Zürich, Farbhof)

arr 07:36 Zürich, Opernhaus

dep Zürich, Opernhaus (walk)

arr Zürich Stadelhofen

dep 07:42 Zürich Stadelhofen - platform 1 (S1619624)

arr 07:58 Zürich Flughafen - platform 2

-

Dur. 0:24, Changes 1

Schedule:

fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en…

---------------

So, the second one is even faster, you would have to leave your hotel at 07:30 (if you have a valid ticket), walk 2 minutes to the tram stop, and then you are at the airport at 8 o'clock. Period.

Take care: the second connection has a change from tram to train already at the "Zürich Stadelhofen" station with only 3 tracks, but forth most used one in Switzerland. Of course, the most used train station in Switzerland is Zurich HB with about 350'000 to 500'000 passengers a day. Zürich City has 385'000 inhabitants! There are 2915 trains arriving and leaving every day at Zurich HB. Given this figure, it makes Zurich HB the most frequent single train station on the world (sic!!!), but not by passenger numbers and definitely not by track numbers (only 26). Every 25 seconds, a train enter or leaves the station ;-)

Morality of this story is: you can have much nicer options, cool urban environment with lake, cinemas (most of the shows are shown in original language) and lot of restaurants and shopping possibilities around, etc etc.

I can tell you, Zurich during summe time is very, very nice place to be and no reason to go anywhere else at all. I do my holidays anytime else, when it is grey and cold here. ;-))

Try this site to get an overview and don't forget to select the corresponding categories on the left side: map.search.ch/zuerich.en.html…

Zurich, Switzerland
3. Re: 1 night zurich hotel suggestion with kids

Oh, and do not forget the possibility to take a swim in the lake before you go to sleep ;-)

4. Re: 1 night zurich hotel suggestion with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 08, 2013