We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi fare

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kolkata (Calcutta...
reviews: 64
taxi fare

Can anyone please tell me the aprox taxi fare from zurich station to hotel Bristol - Stampfenbachstrasse 34, 6. Unterstrass-Oberstrass

Zürich, 8035

Switzerland

Zurich, Switzerland
1. Re: taxi fare

Expect about CHF 12.-, because just to enter a taxi costs you CHF 6.-, if the taxi driver is willing to take you there for this short drive at all. Just consider, the taxi driver is waiting since a long time for a customer in a long row, he has to go through again after your short travel; not very attractive to him.

Further, I would walk, even with luggage (if they have wheels), it is about a seven minute walk distance.

Take a look on the map!

Edited: 6:20 am, July 13, 2012
Kolkata (Calcutta...
reviews: 64
2. Re: taxi fare

Thanks a lot for sharing your expertise.

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
reviews: 25
3. Re: taxi fare

Yes, definitively walk - or take tram no. 11 or 14 for one stop (Stampfenbachplatz). You'll probably get in trouble if you try to get a cab!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
4. Re: taxi fare

Or take a taxi but be sure to let them know that you realize it's a short trip and that you will compensate them for the time. I have tipped as much as the equivalent of the entire fare when they have been kind enough to take me a very short way. It is hard for them to get to the front of the line and then have a trip that is less time than they stood in the line.

Also, you could leave your luggage at the station, walk to the hotel with one bag and then go back and bring the rest once you find the hotel and know which way to walk. It really is a short walk on pretty easy streets for rolling baggage.

Or, if you are arriving at the airport, make arrangements with one of the shuttle services as the combined rail fare and taxi from the main station isn't much less than a shuttle - I like one called Check In All Ways

http://www.checkin-allways.com/

Hope this helps.

Edited: 2:12 pm, July 13, 2012
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 668
5. Re: taxi fare

The taxi drivers at the Zurich Central train station could very well be the rudest taxi drivers in the world. I've been to a lot of places but haven't seen as rude taxi drivers (and I've been to a lot of places).

We arrived at the station and we had 2 large suitcases and 2 duffle bags along with 2 small collapsable strollers as we are traveling with 2 young kids.

We are here in Europe for 3 months and it's impossible to travel light when you're traveling that long with 2 young kids.

We were going a short distance (only 10 minutes ride away). I realize we had a lot of luggage but the taxi drivers in the front of the line didn't want to take us. I even offered to load the suitcases in myself and pay double fare. (they didn't even ask where we were going so it wasn't a matter of distance).

There were a few guys standing on a bench and yelling for these guys to just take us. This black gentleman sitting on the bench seemed to have some kind of pull because he went to one of the taxi drivers in the back and basically told him to take us.

He just told me they are going to charge extra for the bags. I didn't care at this point as I had to check into our rental apartment and the train was already 1 hour late so we were running late. The driver told us it would be 20 CHF in addition to the fare. I agreed.

When I got to our rental apartment the owner told me that she is embarrassed at how rude taxi drivers are in Zurich (especially at the train station). She said that very few people in Zurich take taxis but I would have thought that for that reason, they would even be more motivated.

So what's the deal? Is this normal here?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
6. Re: taxi fare

I have never been treated rudely at the station and I travel with a three bags - 2 vary large and a carry-on roll aboard I know that the trunks of many of the vehicles cannot carry more than one of the larger pullman suitcases so I wonder if that was the problem. Did the send you to a station wagon? I've had them do that before but it was a matter of which car could take the luggage. I'm sorry you had a bad experience! In your situation, it might work better when you leave Zurich to try one of the shuttle services - I like one called Check-In Allways. They use mini buses so have room for lots of luggage. I no longer use a taxi unless I am arriving by train.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
7. Re: taxi fare

Hi Kileysmom. No, that wasn't it as both cars that were in front of the cue were larger than the one that we ended up taking.

I don't think I'm the only one that had issues there as I just googled it as I was curious and it seems like other people also mentioned they had similar problems.

Just out of curiosity, did they charge you extra for the bags when you had the 3 bags?

We travel quite a bit and never encountered this sort of thing. I did arrange a larger car service to pick us up and take us to the airport in two weeks when we fly to London.

I will also check out Check-In Allways. That's good to know. Thanks.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
8. Re: taxi fare

Hi, no, I wasn't charged but I let the driver know right away that i know it is a short trip and there would be a very big tip. Do you speak German? I'm wondering if there was some misunderstanding? Maybe it's because I'm a woman and travelling alone? I've been told that I don't look like an American (I lived in Europe for many years) so maybe that has something to do with it. I really don't know.

I've used Check-In Allways quite a few times and they are great! Polite drivers and on-time service. They pop up on google.

Hope you enjoy living in Zuriich!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
9. Re: taxi fare

Yes, I did let the drivers in front know right away that I would gladly pay more for the bags. They understood English (I don't speak German).

It could be that your a woman and traveling alone helps. But in most places we've been, people are extremely friendly and understanding when they see you are traveling with kids.

It sounds like based on what some local friends tell us that taxi drivers here aren't the friendliest. The owner of the property we are staying in said she is embarrassed by how taxi drivers can be here. (This was before I told her about us getting to the flat).

Anyway, I just thought I'd comment on that for families that are traveling with kids and lots of bags at the train station.

I emailed several of the recommended companies listed here on Trip Advisor and I'd recommend info@swisslimo-deluxe.ch (Swiss Limo Deluxe) just based on their quick email responses. I emailed them and they emailed me back almost instantly. They confirmed the pick up in a larger car for all our luggage on the way out.

Anyway, happy to be here. I've never stayed in Zurich more than a few short days so this will be a nice trip. Although I do have to say everything is so expensive here.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
10. Re: taxi fare

Expensive in Zurich??? Nooooo - super expensive if not mega expensive but there are ways to save there and learn from the locals! All the years I lived in Europe I found my friends and colleagues knew how to live for about half what visitors were living on! It's a change from our American life style but fun!