We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rhine waterfall and stein am Rhein

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 41
Rhine waterfall and stein am Rhein

Travelling to Switzerland for the first time with wife and 18 month son. We have based ourselves in spiez and plan to do day trips before our trip to Heidelberg in Germany on the last day. I have read some forums who suggest Rhine waterfalls and stein am Rhein as must dos.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend how we could see both places in a day considering our long trip from spiez to Heidelberg. I initially thought of an early train to schauffsen and leaving our luggage at the station before embarking on this day trip.

How long should we set aside foot explore both towns and the Rhine waterfalls? I heard the route from stein am Rhein to schauffsen was really pretty. How often to boats run between these two places and are the prices included in the Swiss pass

Thanks in advance

canada
reviews: 10
1. Re: Rhine waterfall and stein am Rhein

Ferry info: www.urh.ch;

Hiking trails varies between 1-2 hours from the Falls.

Plan to sit in the townhall square in Stein am Rhein for lunch.

Lockers available in Schaffhausen station, but not at Schloss Lauffen which is the closest station to the Falls.

London, United...
2. Re: Rhine waterfall and stein am Rhein

Thank you for the information. How long does one need to spend in stein am Rhein. We were thinking of dropping our luggage at schauffsen, then taking the train to stein am Rhein.

We would then take the boat ride from stein am Rhein urh to schauffsen urh as have heard that's quite a lovely boat trip.

How far are the rhine waterfalls from schauffsen urh?

canada
reviews: 10
3. Re: Rhine waterfall and stein am Rhein

2 hours would be enough for Stein am Rhein.

Your problem is in Schaffhausen. The ferry landing is about 20-30 min walk away from the train station; while you would need a bus to get close to the Falls.

Cedarville, Ohio
reviews: 59
4. Re: Rhine waterfall and stein am Rhein

Last year we took the train from Zurich to the Rhinefalls. Spent a total of an hour and a half there and enjoyed it immensely. I grew up three hours from Niagara Falls but still enjoyed the RhineFalls. We then rode the train the short distance to Schaffhausen. And yes the walk to the dock from the station was a little distance but my 85 year old mother did just fine since it was all downhill. We took the boat up the river to Stein am Rhein. It took a while (it is slow) The trip was enjoyable but not as impressive as I was anticipating (maybe I had too high expectations...plus it was pricey....got the tickets at the train ticket office.) We arrived in Stein am Rhein late and wished we had two or three hours there....but we had to catch a train back to zurich by 5:30. The whole day was from 9 till 5:30 it was a little rushed and wished we had two more hours. If we had to do it again we would ride the train from SAR and S'hausen instead of the boat. That would have gained us an hour or so.

London, United...
5. Re: Rhine waterfall and stein am Rhein

Thankyou for your suggestions. Can I ask how far the dock at S'hausen is far from the Rhine waterfalls. What bus can we take to get there from the docks. We will try not to keep our expectations high but have heard great things of the boat trip from SAR to S'hausen. Is this boat trip not included in the Swiss pass?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 125
6. Re: Rhine waterfall and stein am Rhein

Assuming you will arrive in Schaffhausen by train, then check your bags at the station before continuing on to Stein am Rhein from the same station. Trains are quite frequent and you can get all times on the SBB site.

Then spend an hour in Stein am Rhein. It is very small, and an hour is ample time. Take the boat from there (times also on the SBB site) to Schaffhausen. The boat companies are private and I am not sure if this is included in the Swiss pass or not. There is a map on the SBB site which shows what is and what is not included...

The boat ride is very pretty. You see lots of houses and gardens... and you get off in Schaffhausen at the bus stop "Schiffsländung" from where you can either walk to the station through the town, which is really beautiful and IMO much nicer than Stein am Rhein, OR take the bus which is included in the Swiss pass. Then take the train from there to Schloss Laufen (5 mins and frequent trains), see the Rheinfall and then back to Schaffhausen station to continue your journey.

The Rhine Falls are lovely! And Europe's largest waterfall in terms of the amount of water going over by second... 600'000l/second to be precise!

Toronto, Canada
7. Re: Rhine waterfall and stein am Rhein

Thanks. Helpful for me too

Kent, England
8. Re: Rhine waterfall and stein am Rhein

The boat fare from Stein am Rhein to Schaffhausen is included in the Swiss Pass, I did the trip last summer and really enjoyed the chance to relax for an hour or so. The walk from the landing stage to the station in Schaffhausen is through the pedestrian part of the town and can be busy so allow enough time to catch your train.

9. Re: Rhine waterfall and stein am Rhein

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, August 21, 2013