We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Absinthe in Zurich?

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California City...
reviews: 4
Absinthe in Zurich?

My husband loves Absinthe. Any recos on where to drink and/or buy Absinthe in Zurich?

Many thanks!

bern
1. Re: Absinthe in Zurich?

Since it's legal again you can get it in many places. I think most bars have Absinthe. Any shop with a bigger variety of liquors sells it, eg a bigger Coop grocery store. Absinthe is from Val-de-Travers region in Switzerland.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
2. Re: Absinthe in Zurich?

Any bar will have it. Mube is right that it comes from the Val-de-Travers but it is also made here in Martigny by the Morand distillery!

Just don't try taking it back to the US! It is strictly on the banned list by US Customs. I know because I am leaving for the US this am and wanted to take a bottle to a friend in DC!! I checked. So now I am taking Abricotine...

Zurich, Switzerland
3. Re: Absinthe in Zurich?

Certain brands are allowed to be imported to the US. For example you could take the Kübler - those which contain less than 10ppm thujone.

California City...
reviews: 4
4. Re: Absinthe in Zurich?

Thanks kunjum0n...any other brands that you know of that can be exported back to US?

bern
5. Re: Absinthe in Zurich?

I found this list of Absinth with less than 10mg/kg in online shop.

1a-absinthe.com/Absinth-Thujongehalt/…

The "Bitter spirits" in the menue are those with more than 10 mg/kg. Be careful some Kubler are on the list of the stronger once. For more information about the issue see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thujone

Switzerland has the same regulations as the EU.

Neuchatel...
reviews: 44
6. Re: Absinthe in Zurich?

Absinthe has been legal in the US for several years, at least the past 3. You can bring any Absinthe back into the states now, no problem with customs. Just had some friends visiting from the US a month or so ago and we took a tour of the Val de Travers and they bought several bottles each, they all brought them back in the US with out any issues.

bern
7. Re: Absinthe in Zurich?

@ janbaker Did you read the above posts? The US have stricter limits of Thujone, some Absinth you can buy in Switzerland have more than what is legal in the US. Do you have the link to a trustable site telling if it's allowed to bring this stronger Absinthe to the US for personal use? I guess you can't bring it, even some officals might no know about this very specific issue.

Miami
reviews: 6
8. Re: Absinthe in Zurich?

I just brought some absinthe back from Prague and Zurich with no problem. And this stuff was crazy potent. Just pick it up at the airport they will wrap it up for you and it's duty free.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
9. Re: Absinthe in Zurich?

According to the US Customs site ANY Absinthe is a prohibited import. I checked last May because I wanted to take a bottle to a friend. And decided that I preferred not to see the inside of a US prison!! I took her some Valais wines instead...

10. Re: Absinthe in Zurich?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, December 15, 2013