We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heidiland & Liechtenstein tour

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Port Isabel, Texas
Heidiland & Liechtenstein tour

My husband & I will be in Zurich this summer for app. 24 hrs, planning to stay at Holiday Inn Express Airport (husband needs airconditioning) and possibly take the Heidiland and Liechtenstein bus tour. However, the bus tour ends app. 6:30 PM and we depart 9:05 PM. It sounds as though the train ride back to the airport is only 10-15 min. We considered leaving most of our luggage in lockers at the airport so we wouldn't have to retrieve it from the hotel. Are the airport lockers a safe option? Are we asking for trouble trying to make these connections? Is there a hotel better located for our purposes (with airconditioning?)

canada
reviews: 10
1. Re: Heidiland & Liechtenstein tour

Have you seen the hotel on the map? It is closer to the middle of airport runways than to the passenger terminals. It is 5-10 min walk to the S bahn station which is not part of Zurich city zone.

There is a Radisson Bleu attached to the air terminal, or Swisshotel one train stop from the airport.

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
reviews: 26
2. Re: Heidiland & Liechtenstein tour

First of all: May I ask why you plan to book the Liechtenstein + Heidiland tour? Personally I would maybe consider this when I would stay for a week or longer in Zurich, but not with only 24 hours. I would rather do some sightseeing and shopping in the city, combined maybe with a lake cruise. I would be more relaxed this way too not to miss my flight. You are right that normally the time between the end of the tour and flight departure is enough, but what happens if your bus gets stuck in a traffic jam or has a breakdown? And anyway if you haven't been in the area before, there would be more attractive excursions IMO, for instance Lucerne plus one of the neighbouring mountains. Liechtenstein doesn't offer much beside of a castle which cannot be visited from the inside and its status of an exotic mini-country. And Heidiland, well, is a good marketing brand...

Lockers are very safe - I haven't heard from any incident.

For an overview of hotels with aircon I suggest you check www.zuerich.com. With the advanced search option you can search for hotels with aircon in all rooms, see their location on a map and even the TA reviews are displayed. You will find out that the choice of hotels is quite large. The Holiday Express is not very conveniently located for your purposes - I would rather stay in the city centre or - as bofoster mentionned - at the Radisson Blu if you prefer an airport hotel.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
reviews: 265
3. Re: Heidiland & Liechtenstein tour

Check the check-in times with your airline. With Swiss you might check-in your luggage 23 hours before departure, this would avoid all the hassle as you would already have your boarding cards.

As for your excursion, I second Ollers suggestions (unless you have some money to deposit "off-shore" LOL)

Luxembourg
reviews: 30
4. Re: Heidiland & Liechtenstein tour

This is of course an interesting tour, no doubt about it especially for first timers. I looked it up on Viator.

The itinerary is along lake Zurich to Rapperswil, worth a trip on its own, then it continues over the Ricken pass road to the Toggenburg valley on very scenic semi alpine road through typical small swiss working villages and towns. I hope the tour goes through tiny Lichtensteig (not the same). At the end of the valley the road drops down to the Rhine valley and, voilà, here is Liechtenstein with its 2 castles, one in Vaduz the other in Balzers . The return way is through Heidland and the Seeztal, past lake Walen (Walensee). I know this area well , I don't tire of it and go there for skiing every Winter, this January was my first time skiing at Malbun high above Vaduz in the Liechtenstein (Alps), beautiful.

The only concern I would have is timing.

Atlanta
reviews: 15
5. Re: Heidiland & Liechtenstein tour

: I signed the family up for a Viator Tour of Heidiland and Lichtenstein. I read all of the reviews of this tour before signing up, most of them were poor, but I signed up anyway since my mother just had to visit Lichtenstein. It was about $90 per person for a 7.5 hr guided tour through Zurich, Rapperswil, Lictenstein and Heidiland. We walked to the Sihl Quai bus terminal from our hotel to meet our driver. I’ve read that the bus terminal was behind the train station, but what I didn’t realize was that the bus terminal is actually a street behind the train station. They are not connected. The bus was only a quarter full and the tour bus itself was new, clean and very comfortable.

If you want a nice scenic ride in comfort for a few hours, then this is for you. We stopped about every 1.5hrs at small villages that consisted of souvenir shops, picture opportunities and bathroom breaks. Our driver and tour guide were quite nice, but they weren’t providing any meaningful history. Many people say there is nothing special about Vaduz, the capital of Lichtenstein, and I’m afraid I have to agree. The scenery is no more impressive than any other small town in the region and the city center (where we stopped for just 45 min) has nothing but souvenir shops, banks, restaurants, and a postal museum (I stuck my head in but unless you are passionate about stamp collecting and mail delivery I can’t see anyone spending any time in there except perhaps to use the restroom). We also visited the tourism office to get our passports stamped, which cost 3 euros.

Heidiland should be taken off of the title of the Viator Tour advertisement since you only spend about 20 min there (and that was more than enough time). This area is no more picturesque than any other area you will see along the way. It’s good for possibly one or two photos. Not a single person on our tour elected to pay to visit the inside of the Heidi House.

All in all, we enjoyed the trip because we took it for what it is: A scenic ride through the countryside in the comfort of a large tour bus with photo ops along the way. If you are looking for anything more, than you will be disappointed. We took a different private tour of the alps the next day (as described below) in a large van, but I must say nothing beats the comfort of riding in a large tour bus with its huge panoramic windows.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 679
6. Re: Heidiland & Liechtenstein tour

Thanks GeorgiaTech for that informative review. We had it as a possibility to check out for a day but I also read all the poor reviews. I think we'll stick to other places instead.

We took a trip over to Lucerne yesterday and really loved it. That Golden Round Trip or even the Silver Round trip is really amazing visiting Mt. Pilatus. The kids LOVED it!

Atlanta
reviews: 15
7. Re: Heidiland & Liechtenstein tour

Sorry for the delay, but if you are still in the area you may consider taking a day trip to see Lake Brienz. We took a tour of the area, which dropped us off in front of a large wood working center and across the street you can see the most beautiful views of the lake and mountains in the distance.

Can still remember the picturesque views, even from my desk in the office haha.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 679
8. Re: Heidiland & Liechtenstein tour

Great. Thanks GeorgiaTech. We will consider it. We are in Lugano now and having a GREAT time. I've always loved Lugano. We are still in Switzerland for over another week so we may try Lake Brienz.

We also may go back to Lucerne as we enjoyed it so much and the day we went it was cloudy/raining. I'm sure it's much more beautiful when it's sunny.

Thanks again.

9. Re: Heidiland & Liechtenstein tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 19, 2013