We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Morning Train from Zurich to Milan

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Darmstadt, Germany
reviews: 1
Morning Train from Zurich to Milan

Thanks for all the posts and replies. It has really helped me build my itinerary.

Just one question:

I am reaching Zurich Airport at 8 am and plan to take the scenic train route to reach Milan the very day by around 2 pm. I found that there is a train at 8:43 and 8:47 from ZRH that connects the fast train at the Zurich station at 9:01 am. Could you suggest if getting onto this train is possible, or should I realistically plan for a later train ?

canada
reviews: 10
1. Re: Morning Train from Zurich to Milan

8 minutes is ample time to walk from platform 13 to platform 4. However, if touchdown is at 0800, the 0843 train may be tight for a first time visitor with checked-in luggage. The next connection leaves the airport at 1047, arrives Zurich hb at platform 5, and you will have 10 min to walk over to platform 4. This reaches Milan at 1450, if there is no delay of any sort.

Darmstadt, Germany
2. Re: Morning Train from Zurich to Milan

Thanks

Without a checked in luggage, how far is the ZRH Train platform from the Arrival terminal of the airport? And how busy is ZRH in general ?

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
reviews: 26
3. Re: Morning Train from Zurich to Milan

Without checked luggage it shouldn't take more than 20-30 min. from your gate to the railway station (20 min. walking from Gates A+B, 30 min. from Gates E where you have to take a subway first). How busy the airport is depends on how many flights arrive around the same time. Normally everything goes smoothly, but on peak times there might be a waiting line before immigration. And on last weekend we had to wait for about 30min. for our checked luggage - much longer than any time in the past!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
4. Re: Morning Train from Zurich to Milan

And an important point: the baggage trolley you will get in the arrivals hall for your luggage will go on the escalators - they are made for this - so no need to look for the lifts at the station.

The station is under the airport - you just follow the signs for the station (I think the sign is a little train or something like that! - and then look at the indicator board which will tell you when the next train to Zurich Hauptbahnhof (main station) goes.

bern
5. Re: Morning Train from Zurich to Milan

You might reach it, but flights are often late, so don't count on it.

Darmstadt, Germany
6. Re: Morning Train from Zurich to Milan

Thanks. The suggestions really help.

However, if I buy a ticket ahead of time and fail to catch the train, is there a chance of getting that scheduled for a later train or is that ticket typically of no use?

I have seen in one of the earlier forum posts that Zurich-Milan trains operate every hour. But the sbb.ch website does not seem to show that. Are there any other alternatives to those schedules?

canada
reviews: 10
7. Re: Morning Train from Zurich to Milan

I had flights to Zurich that were over 3 hours late. This is one reason why I never buy tickets ahead.

In previous years there were trains between Milan and Lucerne which alternate with Milan-Zurich trains, making it effectively an hourly frequency, just with a change at Arth-Goldau. Not anymore.

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
8. Re: Morning Train from Zurich to Milan

There is a train from Zurich to Milano on the Gotthard route every 2 hours now (every 4 hours a direct one, and every 4 hours you need to change trains in Lugano).

Don't worry - your ticket is valid for any train, as long as you stick to the same route (not valid on the route via Brig which would be an option too!). But as the Cisalpino trains to Milano require a reservation, you will have to pass by the train ticket office at Zurich airport or Zurich main station and ask for a new reservation in case you have missed your train connection. If there will be any seats available (which is mostly the case) they will print a new reservation for you.

Aberdeen, Scotland
9. Re: Morning Train from Zurich to Milan

One other suggestion - if you have a short connection for Milan at Zurich HB try to use one of the IC or EC trains between Zurich airport and Zurich HB thus having a much easier connection at the main station i.e. all on the one level. The 'urban railway' services use a lower level part of Zurich HB which makes for a longer transfer. I'm not sure which section IR trains use, hopefully someone from Zurich will advise.

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
10. Re: Morning Train from Zurich to Milan

Only S-Bahn trains arrive on underground level. From there it takes maybe 1-2 minutes more to catch the corresponding train on ground level. I don't think this would justify to wait at the airport for the next EC/IC train. I would just take the first train I can catch, whatever kind it is.