We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ohio

I chose switzerland because it is my mothers dream vacation! I have been twice before to lucerne, grindlewald, interlaken. I don't think we will be up for an adventurous (sp?) trip - she is 69! I would say, more museums, shopping, history but also beautiful scenery! I was thinking of going from zurich to innsbruck for 2 nights b/c this is what she wants and then to lucerne anddown through lugano to zermatt and to geneva. or from lucerne to interlaken, grindlewald or gimmelwald and through that region to geneva. We will be taking trains, not renting a car!

Also, where is the chocolate train?

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: reply

Swiss Chocolate Train runs from Montreux – Gruyères – Broc and back. Info about it and other excursion ideas is at:

swisstravelsystem.ch/…

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 8
2. Re: reply

Hi, to reply to a post just click on the reply button under your name on your original post - it's easiest this way as all the information comes up and someone can read everything you've asked as well as all the information already posted. Then go down below the reply box and check the box to be notified when a reply is posted before you submit.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 28
3. Re: reply

HI again,

Your earlier post says you only have seven days -- does that include your air travel days?? How many actual days on the ground do you have?

Right now, you want to get to five locations in seven days -- which seems like a torture race to me. You lose half of a day each time you switch locations, what with packing up & checking out, checking in & unpacking, then getting oriented in your new location. I strongly recommend that you pare down your itinerary.

Innsbruck seems to be pretty far out of the way for this vacation; it's 3h40 from Zurich and then 4h46 back to Luzern. If you want to really please your mom, maybe you could change your vacation altogether -- fly into Munich & spend your week in Salzburg & Innsbruck. I spent a month in Mittenwald (an hour from Innsbruck) this winter and really loved it.

So, my two recommendations to you are to, first, pare down your itinerary, and then to try to stick to a single region so you don't spend all your time in transit.

Good luck! Let us know how your plans are progressing!

s

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 21
4. Re: reply

Hi,

Did you mean Interlaken or Innsbruck (in Austria)? If Innsbruck, I agree with Swandav.

If you meant Interlaken, and your mother is a fit 69, why not choose two places from your preferences, and divide your time between them. The trains and scenery are wonderful and relaxing, but there is no point trying to fit in too much. Say, go to Interlaken and then Montreux. (That fits in the chocolate train.) OR go to Lucerne and then Lugano. But not everything.

ohio
5. Re: reply

I did mean Innsbruck. We have 7 actual days on land. We fly into Zurich on the 24th of Sept and fly out of geneva on the 1st of oct. Do you think we could fit in 2 days in innsbruck going right from our arrival in zurich then from lucerne to interlaken and then to montreux and then just stay at the airport at geneva for our flight out of there?? Or are we planning too much?!?! Thanks for your help and for telling me how to reply to posts :)

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 8
6. Re: reply

Hi, is your Mom possibly confused between Innsbruck and Interlaken or some other place? It might be worth speaking with her to be sure she is thinking of Innsbruck - a nice small city but, from what I've seen, nothing so special to waste at least a half day of travel getting there and back so a full day of your short time in Europe. You have to also remember that jet lag is going to take a greater toll on your Mom than you and she may well be very, very tired for the first 2 or 3 days, maybe more, and so susceptible to catching a cold or worse. I travelled a lot with my Mom when I lived in Europe and I am now just 9 years younger than your Mom. I would suggest that you plan to have a slow day the first day and get a good night's sleep before setting off to anywhere. You can have a wonderful day in Zurich, stay overnight there and then set off for other places. The Old Town is wonderful for a day of wandering and a huge variety of small shops, there are museums, very old churches and, if you like it, very expensive, designer boutique shopping on the Bahnhofstrasse.

Just thoughts from the 60 side of life!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 28
7. Re: reply

Hi again,

You still have four destinations (Innsbruck, Luzern, Interlaken, & Montreux) in only seven days. That's barely a day and a half in each, and you haven't factored in the transportation and resettling loss of time.

Has your mother travelled a lot? Is she familiar with how her body reacts to the overnight flight and the time change? And you -- are you an experienced traveller also?

Unless you both are experienced overseas travellers, you would do well to re-think this. Try not to go too far from your arrival & departure airports, and try not to have too many stops.

My mother was a very experienced traveller; in fact, she was an expatriate for about 18 years. But when I took her to Switzerland when she was in her 70s, the three stops I planned were too much for her. She was game and all, but she didn't have fun.

Good luck!

s

8. Re: reply

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, August 27, 2009