We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

christmas in zurich

Washington DC...
reviews: 2
christmas in zurich

my husband, my two children and I will be in zurich christmas eve and christmas day. any recommendations on where to stay and where we can go for christmas eve dinner/day dinner ? also will anything be open saturday december 24th or does the city shut down during this time? any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
reviews: 26
1. Re: christmas in zurich

The shops in Zurich are open on December 24th until about 4 p.m. They are closed on December 25th though. Most of the restaurants close on Christmas. You will certainly find an open one but your choice will be limited. If you could tell me what kind of hotel you are looking for (category, location), I could give you some advise.

Washington DC...
2. Re: christmas in zurich

To be honest I have no idea what area we should stay. I have read posts about the old town area. We are traveling with our 2 children (11 & 15) and will most probably have to reserve two rooms (so far quadruple rooms have not been the norm in large hotels) therefore we are looking at three star hotels.

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
3. Re: christmas in zurich

Hotel Helmhaus has good reviews. It is located in old town in a street which isn't too noisy. And there seem to be special conditions for families there. Check this post: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188113-i337-k3080…

Otherwise I could recommend Hotel Roessli (very close to Helmhaus in a quiet side street, small and charming) or Hotel Walhalla (next to train station, probably the cheapest among them). I imagine that over Christmas you could get special conditions in many of the ****hotels which are mainly frequented by business travellers. So I would also check the prices in such hotels as Central Plaza (between railway station and old town) or Glockenhof (close to Bahnhofstrasse and very nice). You should be able to find all adresses on www.zuerich.com.

Washington DC...
4. Re: christmas in zurich

thank so much for the information. i will research all.

Zurich
reviews: 6
5. Re: christmas in zurich

Allow me to post another hint. Restaurant Glockenhof www.glockenhof.ch is located very central. It's a very nice place with an excellent restaurant, which is very lovely decorated during christmas. The kitchen is really good and you get some nice classical meat dishes and Swiss specialities. Best is that this restaurant is open over Christmas and before your dinner you can have a walk through the lovely decorated town.

Philadelphia
6. Re: christmas in zurich

JUst wanted to say -- Oller and others who live in Zurich - you're an incredible fountain of informatioN!! I wasn't able to find anything family specific re: hotels or things to do, and the website Oller gave is great.

My thanks...I am looking forward to seeing Zurich for the first time!!

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
7. Re: christmas in zurich

You are welcome gambader and hola. I'm happy to help you if this makes your stay in my hometown more pleasant and your preparations more relaxing - we need tourists like you here!

Washington DC...
8. Re: christmas in zurich

oller, by chance would you have information on how we can travel via train from zurich to garmisch? i hit a dead end when i plug in garmisch as my destination on the rail website. many thanks-

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
9. Re: christmas in zurich

Hi hola,

Which rail website are you using? No problems at the SBB at www.rail.ch.

Your trip will be more than six hours, with 1, 3, or 4 changes depending on the time you leave.

Have fun!

s

Washington DC...
10. Re: christmas in zurich

swanday thanks for the information it told me just what i needed to know!