We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train pass advice

Which Montreux hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Westchester, New...
Train pass advice

Okay, i'm too confused/lazy to do the math. Could an expert please advise me if it's better to get a swiss pass or the half fare card?

We arrive in Geneva, travel to Montreux for three nights. while we are there we will visit Lausanne, Gruyeres/Broc, and Vevey. Then we go to Wengen for three nights where we will visit Jungfraujoch, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunner, Brienz, then four nights some where else over towards Bern, where we will visit Neuchatel, FribourgMurten, Thun, Spiez before returning to Geneva to fly home.

Thank you in advance!

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Train pass advice

You are correct that a Swiss Pass or a Swiss Half-Fare Card would be the best option for you itinerary. The advantage of a Pass is that once you have it validated, you just write in the date and get on a train – no need to buy p2p tickets.

For the amount of travel you are considering, I would recommend the 15-day or 22-day Swiss Saverpass, which is for two or more travelers. This pass would be valid for 15 or 22 consecutive days of travel and you can purchase the Pass in Switzerland. The 15-day pass costs 374 CHF [24.94 CHF per travel day] and the 22-day pass costs 432 CHF [19.64 CHF per travel day].

The Swiss Saverpass would be valid for travel to all the destination that you have mentioned except the Jungfraujoch. For the journey up to the Jungfrau, the pass is only valid as far as Wengen or Grindelwald. From there you would be required to buy p2p tickets but you would get a 50% discount.

Westchester, New...
2. Re: Train pass advice

Thanks so much for your help!

india
3. Re: Train pass advice

we are also having the same plan

from geneva aiport to montreux while we visit the castle and vevy for 2 days .

Then we go for interlaken to visit Jungfraujoch, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunner, Brienz for 2 days and back to geneva

will u plz tell me what kind pass should me n my husband take for four days. is it better to buy pass or get down and buy p2p ticket.

London, Uk
reviews: 10
4. Re: Train pass advice

Hello

WOndering what place to stay you found in montreux - we are there for 2 nights in july and looking for a place with family rooms (2 children 7 and 9 with us)

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
5. Re: Train pass advice

‘ashwi’

For your itinerary the 1st class / 2nd class train fares would be:

1) SBB train Genève-Aéroport [Geneva airport] to Montreux = 52 CHF / 31 CHF

2a) MOB/SBB trains Montreux to Interlaken Ost station [Goldenpass trains via Zweisimmen] = 78 CHF / 47 CHF

2b) SBB train Montreux to Interlaken Ost station via Lausanne and Bern = 91 CHF / 55 CHF

3) round-trip Jungfraubahn train from Interlaken Ost station to the Jungfraujoch [going to via Lauterbrunnen and returning from via Grindelwald] = 183.80 CHF / 172.60 CHF

jungfraubahn.ch/en/…

4) SBB train Interlaken Ost station to Genève-Aéroport = 108 CHF / 65 CHF

For your journey to Brienz, I would suggest taking a dinner cruise on a BLS ship on Lake Brienz. Information about the meal service is at

http://www.bls.ch/schiff/speisen_e.html

www.bls.ch/schiff/speis_gastrolac_2006_e.pdf

A pdf timetable and fares [page 6] plus information about the special Tuesday/Friday Swiss Dinner Cruise [meal and fare - page 7] is at http://www.bls.ch/schiff/fahrplan_2006_e.pdf

To help you get oriented to the Interlaken area, an excellent map can be found at

alpineskimaps.com/swit/jungfrau/mapsum.htm

Compared to a Swiss Pass, it would be cheaper for you buy the 1-month Swiss Half-Fare Card, which costs 99 CHF. You would then be able to buy p2p tickets for all the SBB trains, the train to the Jungfraujoch and the BLS ship at a 50% discount. When you buy tickets, you would want to advise the agent that you the have the Half-Fare Cards as they may assume that you do not.

india
6. Re: Train pass advice

Thank u so much

i just want to confirm that with swiss half fare pass as u informed we can travel from geneva to montreux to interlaken and surrounding villages also

and we can receive 50% discount on jungfraujoch tickets also

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
7. Re: Train pass advice

The 1-month Swiss Half-Fare Card is NOT a pass. It costs 99 CHF [Swiss Francs] and allows you to buy SBB train tickets, MOB train tickets and Jungfraubahn train tickets at a 50% discount.

Basically, for 1-month you can buy tickets at a 50% discount and travel anywhere with Switzerland [except local city transportation.]

Information about Passes or Cards for unlimited local travel in Geneva is at http://www.tpg.ch/Internet+TPG/Anglais/EServices/EBilletterie/Ebilletssommaire.htm

8. Re: Train pass advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, August 15, 2009