We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreux and Lausanne

Which Montreux hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 6
Montreux and Lausanne

Hi,

My family of 5 will travelling from Spiez to Montreux in mid December by GoldenPass. I am wondering whether to stay for 4 days in Montreux or split into 2 days in Montreux and 2 days in Lausanne. We will be travelling to Paris after the 4 days.

Any advice is appreciated.

Regards

KC

3 replies to this topic
Zuerich
Destination Expert
for Zurich
reviews: 91
1. Re: Montreux and Lausanne

Hi SKYYE123

It is less than 30min on the train from Montreux to Lausanne, with MANY connections every hour - meaning that it is completely possible and easy to make a day trip. I prefer Montreux as it is more scenic and has nice connections to the mountains, Chateau Chillon, and Vevey - all places with interesting things to do.

In the interests of simplicity... I would advise to stay in Montreux, avoid changing hotels in this time, and take in Lausanne as a day trip, before moving on to Paris.

Have fun!

Singapore
reviews: 6
2. Re: Montreux and Lausanne

Thanks for the advice.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 113
3. Re: Montreux and Lausanne

Canswiss is absolutely right. There are 2 express trains an hour between Montreux and Lausanne and the journey takes 20mins. (There is also one local train an hour...). Lausanne is a very hard place to navigate if you do not know it and there is not all that much to see. The old town is very nice (so is Vevey's!) and there are a couple of interesting museums. Personally I would stay in Montreux or Vevey (really makes no difference as they are so close together) and explore that area. Chillon, Rochers de Naye, Lavaux vineyards, lake cruises and Vevey. Also the Goldenpass train to les Avants and if you wish to go further, with connections to Gruyères... when time comes to take the train to Paris you have two options - from Lausanne (20 mins from Montreux and to Paris 4+ hours) or Geneva (1 hr from Montreux and to Paris 3 hours). So choose which suits you best in terms of schedule...

Reply to: Montreux and Lausanne
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted