We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geneva to Montreux day trip

Which Montreux hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 9
Geneva to Montreux day trip

Hi my husband and I were hoping to go for a day trip on 17th Nov 2012 to celebrate our anniversary.

Can anyone advise us what are the good places to see mountain snow scenery in Montreux?

Any good food places to recommend?

We may stop by Lausanne on the way but am not sure if there is really anything to see. Our main goal is to see scenic nature places.

Also, is the rail train to Montreux operating on the day? Can anyone ddirect me as to how to take the rail train there and the most economical way to purchase train tickets there?

Thanks so much!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 28
1. Re: Geneva to Montreux day trip

Hi angelis888,

Well, there is snow right now at the top of the Rochers-de-Naye; here's a link to a webcam to see it:

http://www.goldenpass.ch/webcam

Just take the train to Montreux, then take the train up to Rochers-de-Naye. You can find the exact schedule at the Swiss rail site at

www.rail.ch

and just enter

From Geneva

To Rochers de Naye

then follow the instructions it tells you.

I hope you'll leave yourself enough time to enjoy Montreux as well, particularly to walk along the flowered lakesdie promenade.

Have fun!

s

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 33
2. Re: Geneva to Montreux day trip

Little more info for you as I'm in cully now,

Chateau chillon open from 10:00 to 1700 currently

Also, you better use app of SBB to get the latest train schedule

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 132
3. Re: Geneva to Montreux day trip

Lausanne is certaily worth a stop if you can work it in.... much more to see than around Montreux but not easy to access/find your way about because when you look at a map, all seems straightforward. Then when you are there you discover that it lies on a sloping hillside which is cut into different levels by the old river bed of the Flon! so when you think you are right next to something you have to find an escaltor or a lift or stairs to get there!! Anyway, this should help:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188107-c180593/Lausa…

If you are staying in Geneva it might be better to spend a full day in Lausanne. There are a couple of nice museums - Hermitage and Elysée and Musée de l'Art Brut. The cantonal museum at the Place de la Ripponne is an amalgam of several separate museums, and a bit "dusty"... but if you poke around there you will find somethng interesting.

The old town is very very lovely and from the cathedral there is a great view all over the lake.

Since you can stop off in Lausanne at no additional charge if you are en route to Montreux why not do so for an hour or two and see what you think. Then you can always go back another day!

4. Re: Geneva to Montreux day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 16, 2013