We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a walk from Villeneuve to Montreux

Which Montreux hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belgrade, Serbia
a walk from Villeneuve to Montreux

How long does it take to walk from Villeneuve to Montreux?

Thanks a lot!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 28
1. Re: a walk from Villeneuve to Montreux

Hi Ivan P,

This is one of my favorite things to do in the Montreux area.

The walk will take about 90 minutes, more or less, depending on how often and for how long you stop. I tend to plop down on a bench and munch some cheese and watch the water or the other tourists meander by.

I actually prefer to walk from Montreux to Villeneuve, as your views will all be water and flowers and mountains and a small village. If you walk from Villeneuve to Montreux, the views will be of the buildings and built-up areas of Montreux.

Have fun!

s

Belgrade, Serbia
2. Re: a walk from Villeneuve to Montreux

Thanks a lot for the detailed and quick answer! It's much longer than I expected but it seems worth it! Could you also tell me about interesting things to do in Villeneuve? Also, what are the best transportation means to Montreux and how long does it take. I would also like to see some concerts at the jazz festival but I guess I'm already too late since I was told that the tickets should be booked in advance and that they sell out quickly? Also, it seems that an average ticket price is about 50 euros?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
3. Re: a walk from Villeneuve to Montreux

Hi again,

Sorry, I don't know anything about the Jazz Fest, but you should be able to find out everything you need from its website

www.montreuxjazz.com

In Villeneuve, walk down the small main street and duck in and out of the small streets that lead off of it. Have a drink at one of the lakeside cafes or restaurants, but have you meal at one of these places:

1. La Gondola (tucked away at the end of a street nearby the lake), an Italian restaurant that’s normally full of families. Address: Grand Rue 89 2. The Café de Paris (in the Hotel de l’Aigle on the main street), which has about an 8-page menu with delights like salad with baked brie; serves mostly French, Swiss, and Vaudois food. You can usually find working men in coveralls in the tables next to you.

You can get back to Montreux by bus (#201, board just across the street from the big modern Coop building) or by ferry (check schedules at www.cgn.ch). The bus runs every 10 minutes, and the trip takes about 15 minutes; the ferry takes about 20 minutes, but it doesn't run all that often.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 132
4. Re: a walk from Villeneuve to Montreux

If you want to eat reasonably good filets de perche in Villeneuve I can recommend l'Oasis restaurant which is in a very modern, glassed-in building right on the lake. But if the day is nice ask to be seated outside... they have a "pontoon" which sticks out into the lake and you can eat your meal with fish swimming at your feet!!

For your return to Montreux there is also a local train and the station is opposite the Coop building that S mentioned above. The lake boats do operate a short service to Montreux (about once every 3 hours or so) but also run on a very large circuit to Montreux so it takes about 2 hours to get there (Villeneuve/le Bouveret/St Gingolph/Vevey/Clarens and then Montreux.) This is a very nice trip and something you could build into your plan for the day. You will be over on the Valais and French side of the lake and have a lovely view back to Montreux and Vevey and the Lavaux vineyards. Maybe you could even get off in Vevey - either Vevey Marché which is the centre of town OR Vevey la Tour de Peilz which is on the Montreux end - and then walk back along the lakefront to Montreux.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
5. Re: a walk from Villeneuve to Montreux

Hi again,

Actually, it's not true that you will be forced to take the ferry from Villeneuve to Le Bouveret, St. Gingolph, etc. The ferries go both ways on the lake. For instance, there is a ferry going

Villeneuve 10.45

Chillon 10.55

Montreux 11.05

Claren 11.08

This schedule repeats from Villeneuve at 13.55

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
6. Re: a walk from Villeneuve to Montreux

S -

Please take the time to read others' posts! You will see that I said, clearly, that you can take the lake boat (it is not a ferry!!) from Villeneuve to Montreux but that this particular service does not operate frequently. It runs about once every 3 hours or so... As you saw when you looked at the schedule - lvs Villeneuve at 10.45 for Montreux and then again at 13.55.

In between you can take 8as I said) the larger circle that goes via le Bouveret to St Gingolph and via Vevey to Montreux.

What i said was totally correct. You mis-read it! And I also think that it makes for a very lovely day to walk to Villeneuve, then take the longer circuit back...

Edited: 3:45 pm, July 10, 2012
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
7. Re: a walk from Villeneuve to Montreux

Hambagahle,

I read your post three times trying to figure out what you said --

But when you wrote that the route from Villeneuve to Montreux is a "short service to Montreux," I was confused. That ferry (we went through THAT discussion some time ago) runs all the way to Lausanne. It is not just a short service to Montreux.

But, yes, it seems I did mis-read your post, which I don't hesitate to admit.

Sure wish you were a bit gentler in your corrections -- and also really wish you would also admit your own mis-readings (which I have found more than once)!

s

Washington, DC
reviews: 24
8. Re: a walk from Villeneuve to Montreux

Hello!

I am currently in Montreux and would like to know what path you recommend to walk on from Montreux to Villeneuve? Should I just follow the lake on the quais all the way down?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
9. Re: a walk from Villeneuve to Montreux

Hi PandaPal,

Yes, exactly. Just walk next to the lake, and the path will take you all the way to Villeneuve (passing Chillon along the way).

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
10. Re: a walk from Villeneuve to Montreux

when you come to the lake turn LEFT on the lakeside path. If you go right you will end up in Vevey!!