We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreux day trip from Geneva

Which Montreux hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brunei
Montreux day trip from Geneva

Hello,

I am going to Geneva on the 31st December and will be staying there until the 3rd January 2008. I just wanted to know if it is possible to make a day trip to Montreux. If so, where would be the recommended visits? I would also like to know if coming on the 1st January will affect my visit as it is a public holiday. Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,

Ziq

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 34
1. Re: Montreux day trip from Geneva

The train journey is about an hour, trains run all year around in Switzerland. On arrival in Montreux, the station is above the lake and you need to walk down the steps in the street in front of the station to reach lake level. Most visitors when not attendind the towns many festivals tend to use Montreux as a base for exploring the region. A short excursion to the Chateau Chillion is popular by taking the trolley bus from the lakeside or you can walk.

bern
2. Re: Montreux day trip from Geneva

<I would also like to know if coming on the 1st January will affect my visit as it is a public holiday.> Shop's are closed (an exception are the ones in the train station), but not much more. Museums and restaurants are open, all kind of public transport is running.

<I just wanted to know if it is possible to make a day trip to Montreux. If so, where would be the recommended visits?> The alreadey mentioned Chateau de Chillon is a short and great trip. Possible are also trips to the mountains. The closest is the Rocher de Naye www.mob.ch, a bit further but higher up and including a scenic ride is the Glacier 3000 near les Diablerets. www.glacier3000.ch

Train/bus timetables and fares are on www.sbb.ch/en

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 25
3. Re: Montreux day trip from Geneva

Hi Ziq,

To me, the best thing to do/see in Montreux is the flowered lakeside promenade, which runs for about 11 km from Villeneuve to Vevey. It's a pure joy to stroll this quiet path beside the waters while gazing at the mountains across the lake -- and enjoying the antics of the world travellers strolling along next to you. Many people find a sunny spot on a big rock next to the lake or on a bench next to the path and read or eat a picnic or just watch the folks going by.

Though there won't be the flowers in January, nor likely the crowds of world travellers, it is still a wonderful experience. You'll likely see some locals as well as local students out on the pathway.

So I would definitely advise you to bundle up for the day and get to Chillon by walking along the path; it takes about 45 - 60 minutes.

Have fun!

s

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 105
4. Re: Montreux day trip from Geneva

Unfortunately, Chateau de Chillon is closed on 1st January (and Christmas day), so if at all possible, I'd go to Montreux on another day so that you don't miss this beautiful castle.

www.chillon.ch/en/index.html

5. Re: Montreux day trip from Geneva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, September 15, 2009