We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am in Lausanne now- help please

Which Lausanne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gainesville, Florida
I am in Lausanne now- help please

I have been travelling in Switz. for 2 weeks with my husband. He is in Lausanne for a conference. We have enjoyed walks in Ouchy and Vevey and touring Chateau de Chillon. We have been to Bern.

We will be here until Friday and I have the days to sight see by myself. Today I am going to the Musee du Arte Brut (Ive not looked up the spelling of the places I am mentioning) seeing the Cathedral and old town and possibly strolling in the shopping area.

I would like some suggestions for other things to see in the area. I have been to Zermatt, I am not interested in vineyards;

I enjoy unusual museums that are not too large, I'd really like to find a shop that sells non-tacky Christmas ornaments that say Switzerland (this is the one souvenir I buy when I travel to various places). And a place to buy a great chocolate torte would be nice. And does anyone know where I can buy an inexpensive men's shirt?

I am pretty sure that I will go to Geneva for one day and see the Red Cross Museum- other suggestions for Geneva during the day? My husband and I may take a late afternoon boat trip on another day to Geneva- we're not into night life- are there things to see at night?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I didn't plan this part of the trip as well as I should have.

BP

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 25
1. Re: I am in Lausanne now- help please

Hi johngreiss,

Sorry I cannot help with the shopping, but for some excursions, try:

Gstaad

Gruyeres/Broc

Morges

Have you been up to the old town in Montreux? That's a nice little walk, either stopping in the church on a hill to enjoy the views from the terrace, or going as far as to Glion.

Here are my "reviews" (w/photos) of these activities:

Montreux old town

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188108-d546…

Morges

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g198828-r408…

Gruyeres

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g198820-r408…

Saanen

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188079-r408…

Gstaad

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188079-r408…

I'd also suggest a trip to the town of Yvoire in France -- a tiny, flower-decked lakeside village. Not much to do there but shop for tourist souvenirs and enjoy the views, but it's a nice excursion.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Gainesville, Florida
2. Re: I am in Lausanne now- help please

Oops, I'm on my husband's e-mail account- I'm Beverly.

Thanks for your suggestions- I'll look at the posts when I get back from today's activities.

Beverly

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
reviews: 2
3. Re: I am in Lausanne now- help please

>And does anyone know where I can buy an inexpensive men's shirt?

Try the Manor, Coop City and Migros departmental stores.

www.manor.ch/fr/filialen.html

standorte.coop.ch/vstinfo/showMap.do

migros.ch/fr/…recherche-des-magasins.html

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 105
4. Re: I am in Lausanne now- help please

How about a trip to Gruyeres? You could visit the demonstration cheese dairy by the station, and then stroll up the hill to the old town. There is a pretty chateau, plus the HR Giger Museum and a small museum on Tibet if you fancy something different.

It's easy to get there from Lausanne. Take the train from Lausanne to Palezieux. Cross under the tracks via the subway. Follow the sign which says Chatel St. Denis and take the narrow gauge train to Gruyeres.

There was another thread a few days ago about Christmas ornaments. The general consensus is that it's rather hard to find them out of season.

Another option is to take yourself up into the local mountains for a drink and some tart. There is a very nice auberge by a nature reserve lake:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g644345-d1416…

To get there, as above, take the train from Lausanne to Palezieux, cross under the tracks and take the narrow gauge train. Get off at Chatel St. Denis. Catch the bus from the freestanding bus stop at the ticket office end of the station. You go to its final destination Lac des Joncs. Plan the timings for this in advance, as the mountain buses don't go super often. On www.rail.ch you'd enter "from" Lausanne "to" Lac-des-Joncs. The journey usually takes 1 hour 15, including a 30 minute wait at Chatel St. Denis (the station has a bar/shop), or you can just sit in the sun.

Gainesville, Florida
5. Re: I am in Lausanne now- help please

Thanks to you both. I will go to Morges (Forgot to mention that I had gone to Montreux).

And I'll be going to one of the suggested stores for a shirt.

Beverly

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 25
6. Re: I am in Lausanne now- help please

Right -- I did see that you've been to Chillon, so I assumed you'd seen Montreux.

However, the old town is quite different from the lakeside and different, too, from the main streets in town. It's like another place. So, if you didn't get up there and you have the time, it might be worthwhile.

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 113
7. Re: I am in Lausanne now- help please

Red Cross Museum in Geneva is closed for restoration and will not re-open till next year. So is the Olympic Museum in Lausanne.

I suggest you come here to Martigny if you want an interesting day. See this for walking tour:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g580371-s4/Martigny…

In addition to the above I can tell you that the summer exhibition at the Gianadda, which just opened, is on paintings from the Merzbacher Collection and includes Monet, Renoir, van Gogh, Kandinsky etc. It is highly colourful and quite extraordinatry. The special exhibition at the St Bernard Dog Museum is all about the use of aluminium. Rather unusual that.

And if you feel like going on a little from Martigny take the local train to le Châble and take the télécabines uo to La Chaux. Walk back along the path to Ruinettes. you will be walking through the highest Sculpture Park in Europe and there are some quite amazing sculptures there - and with the backdrop of several 4000m high mountains and glaciers it is quite a sight.

www.3-dfoundation.com

This, combined with the Gianadda, would give you a wonderful day out!!

Edited: 3:51 am, July 10, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
8. Re: I am in Lausanne now- help please

Dear Hambagahle,

The trip to Martigny and on to the sculpture gardens is perfect as I have loved the few I've been to. I've checked on schedules and from what I've found, the train from Martigny to Le Chable leaves hourly. I couldn't find the schedule for the telecabine but assume it runs once or twice an hour? And one source mentions that the telecabines stop running at 18:30- do you know if this is accurate?

I was denied access to the 3dfoundation website but I gather from other information on the web that the garden is near Verbier and maintained by a foundation there. At any rate it sounds wonderful. I shall keep my fingers crossed for a sunny day in the next 3 days.

Any recommendations for a place to eat either in Martigny or Le Chable?

Many thanks,

Beverly

9. Re: I am in Lausanne now- help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, July 12, 2013