We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few hours in Montreux/Lousanne

Which Lausanne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Moscow, Russia
Few hours in Montreux/Lousanne

Hi!

I'll have a few hous to visit Montreux/Lousanne, not more than 1/2 day. What are the best sights to visit? I'll go there from Lauterbrunnen, 3 hours traind ride there and have to go back in the evening.

I'm thinking of arriving to Montreux railway station, then walk to Freddie Mercury's memorial, then hop on the bus to Chillon Castle. How much time will it take to explore the castle? Next I think of going to Lousanne, not to visit any museum but just to walk and watch the beautiful city around me. What can you advice?

Also I heard of roman ruins in Lousanne, I searched for it but found another town far away. Are the ruins near Lousanne? If so, how can I get there?

Thanks!

Edited: 4:52 am, July 03, 2012
Moscow, Russia
1. Re: Few hours in Montreux/Lousanne

Sorry for typo! Sure Lausanne! :)

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 26
2. Re: Few hours in Montreux/Lousanne

Hi Marina P,

To me, one of the best things about Montreux is its flowered lakeside promenade, so I would encourage you to spend time to see that. It takes about 45 minutes to walk from Montreux to Chillon castle, and I like the views going TO Chillon. I hope you find time for it!

Sorry, but I guess everyone would spend different amounts of time inside Chillon. I haven't done it in about 40 years so don't remember much about it. I would estimate two hours inside.

I would also strongly suggest you spend some time in Vevey, a delightful little town with tangled streets full of shops, boutiques, and cafes. It's a great way to spend a few hours.

You can move between Chillon, Montreux, and Vevey using the lake ferries, a great but slow way to travel.

Sorry, I haven't ever gotten out of the train station in Lausanne so can't suggest any things to do or see there. Honestly, I would spend my time along the lakefront and in Vevey --

Have fun as you plan!

s

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 104
3. Re: Few hours in Montreux/Lousanne

Chillon is really worth two to three hours. If you don't follow the suggested route through the castle (by room number), you can easily accidentally miss out the best bit.

With just half a day, I'd also suggest sticking to Montreux and Vevey. The ferry/boat from the pier by the castle is a lovely way to get to Vevey - relaxing and scenic.

Moscow, Russia
4. Re: Few hours in Montreux/Lousanne

Does the swiss pass cover Montreux - Vevey boat?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 26
5. Re: Few hours in Montreux/Lousanne

Hi again,

Yup!! It covers all the ferries on all the Swiss lakes.

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
6. Re: Few hours in Montreux/Lousanne

Chillon - you need at least 90 mins if you walk through on your own. And 2 hrs is right with an audioguide, which I really recommend since it brings the place to life. (11-12 century, created as a toll station on the St Bernard road by the Savoyards. Then taken by the Bernese and finally Vaudois after the Vaudois revolution in the late 18th century.

Vevey is a nice "market" town. Much more extensive old town than Montreux. Much better shopping too...

Lausanne - many nice things to see but you cannot possibly visit Chillon, walk along the lakeside promenade AND visit Lausanne in a half a day. You need a day for Lausanne. AND it is hard tonavigate for a first timer. the old town, around the cathedral, is remarkable. The cathedral itself is the best example of Gothic architecture to be found in Switzerrland. But you cannot combine this with a few hours in Montreux. NO Roman ruins in Lausanne. Plenty here in Martigny, in Avenches and many other places but Lausanne - no.

If you are on the Golden pass and returning to Lauterbrunnen that night then forget Lausanne.

7. Re: Few hours in Montreux/Lousanne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:45 pm, July 09, 2013