We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lausanne attractions!

Which Lausanne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
reviews: 17
Lausanne attractions!

I'll be in Lausanne from 22nd till 25th June with two kids and need to know about some good family attractions in/around Lausanne that can be done in 3/4 days.

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 105
1. Re: Lausanne attractions!

Would you like to know about a lovely day trip into the local mountains to a pretty nature reserve lake, lunch in a mountain auberge, a nature themed adventure playground, and finally playing in a stream at the base of a gorge. Let me know if this interests you and I'll give you the details of how to do this.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 25
2. Re: Lausanne attractions!

Hi AsifRN,

It would help if you could let us know the ages of your children and the things they normally do -- are they sports-minded, interested in history, etc. The more you tell us, the better our recommendations will be.

I'd also suggest some time at Chillon castle with its dungeon, and maybe a bike ride or a walk along the lakeside promenade in Montreux.

Hope to hear a little more!

s

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
3. Re: Lausanne attractions!

Thank you very much for the reply swandav.

The ages are 9 and 6. I read about the Chillon castle looks like it is a must visit. As a family we are more into exploring places, nature and history.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
4. Re: Lausanne attractions!

Hi AsifRN,

For history, definitely Chillon. You may also find the town of Martigny a special joy -- it has lots of Roman artifacts, including a temple to Mithras (sp??) and a small arena. It's also just a cool little town. Other places to see history --

Town of Murten, with a nice, preserved medieval section. Sits on Lake Murten just north of Lausanne.

Village of Gruyeres, also has a beautiful, old, preserved medieval street and castle. It's hugely touristy, but very beautiful and worthwhile. It also has a cheese demonstration house next to the train station, and you may be interested in seeing that. Gruyeres sits inland from Lausanne -- you could go in one direction via Palézieux and return on the Golden Pass via Montbovon and Montreux. You could even fit in a stop at the chocolate factory at Broc-Fabrique on the way to Gruyeres.

Town of Lutry has a nice, signposted walk of medieval buildings in its old section. Pretty little town right on the lake just outside Lausanne.

There is a toy museum in Vevey -- your children may be interested to see how children played in Switzerland hundreds of years ago.

As for nature, I would maybe take a train/funicular up to Bloney/Les Pleiades or to Mt Pelerin (both are above Vevey) or to Rochers-de-Naye (above Montreux) and walk around.

You can find all the train schedules at the Swiss rail site at

www.rail.ch

Hope some of this is useful!

s

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
5. Re: Lausanne attractions!

@NorthWestLondoner - I'd love to learn about this ... please

bern
6. Re: Lausanne attractions!

Always a good resource for this area www.region-du-leman.ch

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
7. Re: Lausanne attractions!

@swandav - thanks for the detailed information think this would be plenty for our stay there. I have a question however about what is best stretch of the Lakeside Promenade walk, and is it possible to walk from Montreux to Chillon Castle and then back to Lausanne by means of train?

Also, roughly how far are Vevey and Montreux from Lausanne by train?

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
8. Re: Lausanne attractions!

@mube - thank you for the resource :)

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
9. Re: Lausanne attractions!

Hi again,

Yes, that piece between Chillon and Montreux is one of my favorite bits of the lakeside promenade. I like to walk TO Chillon because I think it's prettier; the walk takes 45 minutes.

You can return to Lausanne a bunch of ways:

bus (#201) to Montreux then train to Lausanne

bus (#201) to Vevey then train to Lausanne

Ferry from Chillon to Lausanne

Ferry from Chillon to "x" then train to Lausanne

Ferry schedules are at

www.cgn.ch

and I highly recommend a ferry ride!!

You can see the train distances using the rail site I posted above, at Post #4 -- I think it's best if you get used to using the source for any other train questions that come up!

s

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
10. Re: Lausanne attractions!

@swandav - many thanks ... really appreciate.