We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions required for a two week trip to Lausanne

Which Lausanne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leicester, United...
reviews: 5
Suggestions required for a two week trip to Lausanne

Hi all,

I am a PhD student in the UK and will be visiting Lausanne to meet my second supervisor who is a professor at EPFL. My trip will be two weeks long 1 July - 15 July. I will be spending most of the time at a LAB in EPFL but will have weekends for myself. So just wanted some ideas on how to make best use of my weekend(s).

I have heard Lausanne is not as beautiful as some of the other places in the country. Can I do day excursions to nearby places? As I am a student, I am looking for low-budget options and as I have booked my accommodation for the whole trip at a student accommodation (Triaudes - FMEL), I would not want to spend a night away and pay extra.

Any recommendations will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Shadan

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 113
1. Re: Suggestions required for a two week trip to Lausanne

Welcome to the Switzerland Forum, Shadan... you will have a great time here and the EPFL campus is terrific, especially the new "Learning Centre".

Lausanne is a very Swiss city and has a lot to offer someone who takes the trouble to seek things out. Parts of it are very pretty as well - area around the Cathedral (great view down to the lake), Place de la Palud and the Hôtel de Ville, and some nice parks. You as a student might really appreciate the area called the "Flon" which was quite recently re-developed and is now full of cafés, etc etc and there is a lot of action at night! Great for students!! Ouchy - the port of Lausanne - is a pleasant place too.

Now for day trips: Loads of things to see and do within easy reach. If you like nature then the Vaudois and Valais alps and their many mountain resorts are close to hand. (Within an hour to Villars and Champéry for example) The Pays d'Enhaut with lovely villages like Rossinière and Rougemont, and the Gruyère region are also very accessible by rail. Evian is right across the lake and there are shuttle boats over and back. Bern is only and hour away and so is Geneva. With 15 days in Lausanne, and only a couple of weekends you will not have time to see everything!! But if you tell us what interests you most - art, museums, nature, the lake, history etc I am sure we can all give you lots of things to do!!

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 105
2. Re: Suggestions required for a two week trip to Lausanne

Yes, do let us know what you might like to do. I can give you details of a lovely half day hike in the local mountains with beautiful views and rustic farm cafes.

Leicester, United...
3. Re: Suggestions required for a two week trip to Lausanne

Thanks alot Hambaghale and NWL.

I like nature. Love mountains, lakes etc. Valais and Gruyere look like really beautiful places. I like photography as well. So perhaps some near by mountain from where I can take some good photos.

Regards,

Shadan

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
4. Re: Suggestions required for a two week trip to Lausanne

I have a nice day trip for you with lots of lovely photo opportunities. Take the train from Lausanne to Palezieux. Get off the train, follow everyone through the subway. Go to the platform to the right of the station building, where a little narrow gauge train will be waiting. Take the train to Chatel St. Denis. Exit the train. Wait at the freestanding bus stop at the ticket office end of the station. Catch the bus to Lac des Joncs. Stay on the bus til the last stop. This brings you to a pretty mountain auberge on a nature reserve lake. You can relax there and head back by bus...or you can walk for a few hours to Les Pleiades, a beautiful spot overlooking Lake Geneva...or you can walk to Moleson above Gruyeres. You can take public transport back from either. Let me know if you want more details.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
5. Re: Suggestions required for a two week trip to Lausanne

You will get terrific photos of the lake, the French and Valais alps and the Lavaux vineyards from the Rochers de Naye above Montreux. Also if you take the train from Montreux to Gruyères, lovely photos of the lake area as it goes up. Gruyères is very photogenic too, but likely to be full ofpeople which rather spoils things. I suspect you will like Moléson better though it is quite different from Gruyères.

Anotehr super place to take photos - the lakeside promenade at Montreux. Great views down to the Valais alps, including the Dents du Midi. The mountain in the far distance that looks like a volcano (!) is le Catogne and is almost "in my backyard"!!

Leicester, United...
6. Re: Suggestions required for a two week trip to Lausanne

Thanks alot NWL and Hambagahle.

Very nice suggestions. Just had a quick look at photos of all these places and I wouldn't want to miss any :) Reminds me somehow of my home country, Pakistan. We even have a place (SWAT) which is called "The Switzerland of Pakistan".

So as I see, I have at least six very beautiful places that I can visit on the weekends:

1. Les Pleiades

2. Moleson

3. Rochers de Naye

4. Gruyeres

5. Promenade

6. Lac des Joncs

Could you please let me know how long is the journey for each of these places? Considering I will be leaving from "Chemin des Triaudes 20 1024 ECUBLENS". Also, I have heard most of the hotels provide free transport passes to guests. Not sure if I should expect the same from my student accommodation. In any case, how much would be the estimated cost of each trip?

Edited: 6:36 am, May 27, 2012
London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
7. Re: Suggestions required for a two week trip to Lausanne

You can use www.rail.ch . Enter your "from" point and your "to" point and you can get timings and costs. Your best bet is probably to get a half fare card, which gives you 50% off all transport except some private cable cars etc (even then, it usually gets you some discount). When accommodations give transport tickets, it's usually just for the local area. Ask your accommodation if they provide one for Geneva

I'd really recommend visiting the wonderful Saturday morning market in Vevey. In the summer, there is wine tasting, music and delicious food. You could combine this with Les Pleiades.

Would you like some simple walks from Lac des Joncs?

You can combine Moleson with Gruyeres, or Moleson with Lac des Joncs if you'd like a scenic hike of 3-4 hours. You can combine Gruyeres with the Cailler chocolate factory at Broc or with the thermal baths at Charmey. If you want public transport specifics for anywhere I have mentioned, just ask.

Edited: 7:27 am, May 27, 2012
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
8. Re: Suggestions required for a two week trip to Lausanne

Not all the hotels in Lausanne participate in the free travel pass so you had better ask your hotel what if anything they provide.

Put in Ecublens as your departure point. IF you get a free travel pass then you will need to put in the furthest place on the line of travel for which this is valid.

In Vaud there is a new network travel ticket... I don't know much about it (don't live in Vaud!) but it might cover much of your travel. If not then a one month half fare card might be a good idea - 110frs.

Don't forget about Evian, across the lake. Really pretty and very easy to get to from Lausanne - boat from Ouchy.

9. Re: Suggestions required for a two week trip to Lausanne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, June 21, 2013