We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Laussane-Need convenient area near train station

Which Lausanne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
reviews: 3
Stay in Laussane-Need convenient area near train station

I will be visiting Laussane in July and using it as a base for day trips so I want to be near the train station. Where is best place or area to stay.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 26
1. Re: Stay in Laussane-Need convenient area near train station

Hi Melissa S,

Is there no way we can convince you to stay in Vevey for your few days? Did you look for hotels there?

Sorry to be such a putz . . . I just don't care for big cities! And, unless you stay down in expensive Ouchy at the lakefront, staying in Lausanne will be like staying in any other city, I fear.

Did you try the Hostellerie Bon Rivage just outside of Vevey? It's in La Tour-de-Peilz and right on the lake. You could walk to the train station in Vevey in about 15 minutes, or take the town bus that comes by every 10 minutes.

Anyway, hope you find a good spot!!

s

New Hampshire
reviews: 80
2. Re: Stay in Laussane-Need convenient area near train station

We will be using Lausanne as a base city in June. We found the Best Western Mirabeau, it's on the same road as the train station.

It's an easy walk from the train station.You can even to the 'virtual' walk on google earth street view.

Of course we haven't stayed there yet, but it seems like a good place.

There are also places up from the train station in the old town that I looked at, Hotel Elete for example but in the end I decided on a flat walk from the train to my hotel.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
3. Re: Stay in Laussane-Need convenient area near train station

Mirabeau is a nice hotel with an excellent restaurant (I have eaten there on many occasions!) but it is a reasonable walk from the station... And not entirely flat but not very hilly either! I would guess it would take me about 15mins. But there is also a bus stop right there...

The Alpha-Palmier hotel is very nice, and is very close to the station - cross the Place de la Gare and walk about 75m up the hill.

If one hasn't been to Lausanne it is hard to comment on it... and while it is not the easiest place to navigate because it is on a hillside sloping up from the lake which is bi-sected by a ravine of an old river (the Flon) the relatively recent expansion of the Metro has made it much easier to get around and to know where you are - on what level!! Lausanne is a very Swiss city (as opposed to geneva) and is also the site of the Swiss Federal Court.

Things worth seeing -- the area around the cathedral near the Place de la Ripponne, and defintely the cathedral itself which is a wonderful example of Gothic architecture and has a beautiful rose window. Its facade was restored about two years ago and is superb! The rue du Bourg and Place St François for shopping (though the rue du Bourg is not all it used to be!) Ouchy for the waterfront, the Olympic Museum (closed at present for alterations) and the Elysée park. The Thai temple, given to to the city by the King of thailand and which is quite a sight in a Swiss park!! A couple of interesting museums - Hermitage and the Elysée - and an unusual one, the Musée de l'art Brut.

Alexandria, VA USA
reviews: 64
4. Re: Stay in Laussane-Need convenient area near train station

The Alpha Palmier hotel is quite nice, but that hill can be difficult if you have are toting luggage. At this time of year, I much prefer to stay in Ouchy. You can take the metro to the train station in just a few minutes. The lake is a huge draw for me.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
5. Re: Stay in Laussane-Need convenient area near train station

For Lausanne, see this:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188107-c180593/Lausa…

New Hampshire
reviews: 80
6. Re: Stay in Laussane-Need convenient area near train station

SInce this thread has come back to life, I want to report that we've completed our stay at the Best Western Hotel Mirabeau and we loved it.

It is slightly uphill from the train station but we didn't have any problems with our two rolling bags. The breakfast was great and our room had a fantastic view of the Lake.

We loved every part of this hotel and would stay again.

Duillier...
reviews: 14
7. Re: Stay in Laussane-Need convenient area near train station

Hope not too late:

lausanne-guesthouse.ch/home/home_en.php Is a Swiss group of private hostels which are safe and with decent specifications. Some single and two person rooms exist - or as it is so reasonable, book the four bed dorm. Adjacent to the railway lines in Lausanne by the station.

8. Re: Stay in Laussane-Need convenient area near train station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 17, 2013