We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chateau de Chillon

Which Lausanne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 25
Chateau de Chillon

I plan on visiting Chateau de Chillon at the end of April. Is it easy to park at there. Another option I am thinking about is driving to Montreux and parking there and either walking or taking a ferry to the Chateau. Is it difficult to find parking in Montreux?

I noticed from the website that there is a witch-hunting exhibition going on there ad that a free tour of the exhibit is offered on Sundays at 3:15pm. Does anyone know if that tour is offered in English?

How long should I allow for the total visit?

Can anyone recommend a good place for lunch in Montreux?

Thank you!

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 104
1. Re: Chateau de Chillon

There's no particular need to drive to Chateau de Chillon, as there are lots of public transport options to get straight there (local train to Veytaux Chillon, or bus, or boat or walking). However, if you do drive, there is free parking for the castle on the lake road by the castle. It's not a huge car park, but there is usually room. You need to display your cardboard disc where you turn the arrow to the time you arrived - if it's a hire car, you will find this in the glove box. If it's your car and you don't have one, you need to get one.

I normally recommend two or three hours to go around the castle. There are lots of rooms and lots of things to see. Personally, I think it's important to follow the rooms round in number order, as it is easy to miss out on some interesting bits if you don't. I'm afraid I don't know about the special exhibition. The castle is good about having audio tours and some printed information in English, so it's possible there might be some help for you. You could always email them and ask.

I'm a big fan of a picnic by the lake, so that's what I'll suggest for lunch :)

new england
reviews: 15
2. Re: Chateau de Chillon

I don't know about the tour in question but the guided iPod tour is very reasonable, fantastic and super informative, and available in many languages including English. Get them at the information center to the left as you enter Chillon. Did this with my husband and highly recommend it!

new england
reviews: 15
3. Re: Chateau de Chillon

I don't know about the tour in question but the guided iPod tour is very reasonable, fantastic and super informative, and available in many languages including English. Get them at the information center to the left as you enter Chillon. Did this with my husband and highly recommend it! Concur on picnic by the lake. Thats hard to beat! Alternately the outdoor cafe/ terrace at the Eden Au Lac is a great people watching spot by the lake for a light lunch and a beer.

New York
reviews: 25
4. Re: Chateau de Chillon

Thanks for your replies. I know that the public transportation in Switzerland is excellent but we will be renting a car because my husband needs it to get to work and we will also need it for touring France. It seems that the Geneva airport is the only place that I can get an automatic. Also, we are only going to have one full day in Switzerland for sightseeing and I don't want to spend it waiting for trains. We are going to be staying in Lausanne, but I thought that touring Chateau de Chillon and Montreux would be a nice way to spend the day. Is that enough to fill the day? I love the idea of a picnic by the lake, but I think that it may still be too cold at the end of April.

The next day, my husband will be working and I will be on my own for most of the day, so I have to figure out what to do with my time. My hotel is in Ouchy. Is there a lot to do there?

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 104
5. Re: Chateau de Chillon

You might be surprised, it can really get quite nice and warm down by the lake.

If you are driving to Chateau de Chillon, your best bet is to take the motorway from Lausanne and get off at Villeneuve (this is the exit after Montreux). Drive down to the lake, then turn right along the lake road. This brings you quickly to the castle and the car park. If you come off at Montreux, you can easily get caught up in traffic.

If you would like a bit of mountain time in your one day off, you can easily drive up into the local mountains where there is a nice auberge with mountain views and a little lake. Let me know if this interests you, and I'll tell you how. It's about a 20 minute drive from the castle.

Ouchy, I know less well. I have been to the Olympic museum, which is quite interesting. You can take the Metro up into the rest of Lausanne.

Tampa, Fl
reviews: 3
6. Re: Chateau de Chillon

What is the maximum parking time near the Castle? It looks like parking is free but with the disk. Can I leave the car for the whole day there? If not, do you know of any place near the castle where I can park for the whole day for free? I would like to take a ferry to Vevey and back in the evening.

Thanks!

bern
7. Re: Chateau de Chillon

There is nothing written about disk parking. In this case you can usually park as it makes sense for a visit of museum. http://www.chillon.ch/en/access

I've never seen that parking at sights or shops are very strict that you can only use it to visit them, but for sure overnight parking is not accepted.

Disk parking is common in Swiss ciites. Here detail about it. …wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_parking#Switzerland

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
8. Re: Chateau de Chillon

we parked there on Saturday last week (took the grandchildren to visit the chateau!). Time limit posted is 5 hours. No disc was required. It is not a blue zone. Parking is open to anyone, not jsut those going to the chateau. In fact you could park there and take a lake boat for a few hours instead of visitng the chateau. All the parking is along the route Cantonale. Easiest to turn in to a space if you are coming from the Montreux direction but there are some spaces on the other side of the road too.

9. Re: Chateau de Chillon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 23, 2013