We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Lausanne on Saturday

Which Lausanne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, VA USA
reviews: 65
Day trip from Lausanne on Saturday

I am here on business this week, and will have all day Saturday free for a day trip. I have done Evian and Gruyere on previous visits. Any suggestions for places that are easy to reach by train and doable in a day? I fly back to the States on Sunday.

London
reviews: 104
1. Re: Day trip from Lausanne on Saturday

If it's nice weather....up and into the mountains with you!

You can easily get into the local mountains for some snow shoeing, winter walk, skating, skiing or just relaxing in a mountain restaurant. Here's a webcam of the place I like to go in the area:

les-paccots.ch/en/page.cfm/WebcamPaccotsPAC

To get there, take the train from Lausanne to Palezieux. Cross under the tracks with everyone else and follow the signs for Chatel St. Denis. This will take you to the narrow gauge tracks offset from the station (the ones you may have used previously to get to Gruyeres). Take the train to Chatel St. Denis. Then the bus from the ticket office end of Chatel St. Denis station to Les Paccots. If you want to ski or snow shoe, then get off at Les Paccots, Dents de Lys (there is an equipment hire shop and a ski lift there). If you want to skate, get off at Les Paccots, Ermitage (the skating rink is just up the road with skate hire). If you want to winter walk, I can suggest a nice one starting from the final bus stop Les Rosalys, Place. Let me know if this last one interests you and I'll give you more details. In fact, if you fancy any of these, let me know and I'll give you some pointers. Use the bus stop names I have given above to plan your journey on www.rail.ch

For an entirely different plan, there is the ever lovely Chateau de Chillon in Montreux. Take the train to Montreux and then either the local train to Veytaux Chillon, or the bus from the lake side of the lake road, or walk (go down to the lake path, face the lake, turn left and walk for about an hour).

If you have your swimming things with you, you might like a lovely relaxing time at Lavey les Bains, a wonderful thermal baths. Take the train to St. Maurice and then the bus from infront of the station to the final stop called Lavey les Bains, et. therm. Make sure you plan your return journey carefully as the buses don't run in the evening.

There are many more fun things to do, but this should start you off.

Alexandria, VA USA
reviews: 65
2. Re: Day trip from Lausanne on Saturday

Thanks so much for the info. One of my colleagues ended up hosting me. We took the train to Rochers-de-Naye, watched the skiers, had a wonderful fondue lunch, and then went down to Montreux. It was a perfect day!

London
3. Re: Day trip from Lausanne on Saturday

Sounds lovely

London
4. Re: Day trip from Lausanne on Saturday

Sounds lovely

5. Re: Day trip from Lausanne on Saturday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:29 am, March 06, 2013